25| Pathetic

9 pm

I grab my phone, my world colliding down at this reply of a text i got from mister jeon. I quickly open the messages app, and take my earphones. He's sent a voice message.

"I'm doing okay, have you settled well there? It's a bit hard....and i've appointed a caretaker so, don't worry about me having to be busy and work all the time, sweetheart. Hanuel is not as much sad as she was earlier, and she's...eating her dinner now. Hanuel, would you like to say something, baby?"

One of the voice note ends, and the next one starts to play all by itself. "Come," he urges her to speak something, the sadness and sore pain felt in his voice as i know he must've smoked a lot again to cope with everything. "Miss song...?"

Her sweet and adorable voice calls me out and this wide smile instantly creeps up on my face, "miss song, i am eating veggies." She swallows her food and speaks properly when mister jeon tells her to, "umm...and i also studied and read my books, and you know, daddy made mushroom soup for me again and it was tasty!"

"Tell her-" a small chuckle leaves his lips, "wait, honey." I hear her laugh as well and i love how he didn't discard this message even if he could, he knows i'd love to hear them smiling and happy. The next message plays.

"Miss song, daddy miss y-" he cuts her off, "oh so you don't?" He tricks his own kid, but she giggles and goes away, the small footsteps sounding clear.

"Ah, this kid...." Mister jeon sighs, "anyways," he exhales out but gives my ears a good warmth, and i hear him smile, "we might miss you more than we'd have thought, and it's....kind of lonely, i don't know." He feigns his feelings, ignoring them again, "can we facetime tomorrow? I would have asked you tonight but you've only reached there and i know it may feel exhausting. But don't lose hope, darling, we're both here to support you, okay? Text me back after you'll get to bed, and don't worry about my voice," he laughs, but i sense the sadness behind it, "it's only because i had some cold noodles and slept after that in the evening."

The last voice mail stops, and i smile but don't shed any more tears, i look at the small but really cute and meaningful text he's sent.

The food she made was good but not as good as yours. I made some soup for hanuel. Did you have a good dinner?

I had my dinner, i don't know if it was good or not. I'm glad you're both doing well c:

What did you eat?

Japchae and some coke. That was good tho

Send it through a voice note. I wanna hear your voice.

I take a deep breath, my heart rate increasing as the message processed in my head. I press on the voice note button and i hold onto it, "i had some japchae which tasted normal, but i couldn't taste it for some reason. And, so i got a can of coke for myself, and i drank it until i was full."

And i send it, this is making me anxious for no reason. I just hope i didn't sound weird, or made him wonder if i cried or not. He gets online and sees it, but i hasten my breathings.

He sends another voice note and i don't wait before playing it.

"Are you full? I barely believe that'd do something. So the first thing you'll do tomorrow after waking up is having a good breakfast, okay?"