07

CHAPTER SEVEN ;
THE FURTHEST FROM ETERNITY

ACT TWO ;
THOSE WHO STRIVE TO DREAM

ACT TWO ;THOSE WHO STRIVE TO DREAM

It was confusing.

Not for the fact that she remembered I existed, but for the reason she knew I existed. The Archons were known to be omniscient. Surely she should've remembered me for that?

It seemed I wasn't the only one confused, though the traveller seemed a little shocked considering the fact that his jaw had dropped to the floor with wide eyes.

"Focus. "There's no time for questions right now," I said again, "after all, we're in the presence of a God."

My voice came out hushed, but Aether seemed to nod in understanding as he turned his head back to the said God with tense shoulders.

"Indulge my curiosity. What is the reason that I find you standing here before me once again? " She crossed her arms, her eyes filled with inquiry.

"Do you hope your foolhardiness will shelter those people? Or... was it simply a means of seeking an audience with me?"

The traveller furrowed his brows at the casual nature of the God. However, it came to no surprise to me.

The Archons are killing machines. They took part in a war against the all-powerful and came out on top. What would cause them to be bothered by a few humans meddling in their affairs when they could just cast them down with the snap of a finger?

"The Fatui have deceived the Raiden Shogun." Aether asserted confidently, only to be met with a laugh from the Archon.

"Oh? Surely you didn't rouse me from my state of eternal meditation only to tell me this? If so, then you underestimate me. I am quite well-informed about the Vision Hunt Decree. "

I furrowed my brows.

'Eternal meditation? Why did Aether talk as if she wasn't the Raiden Shogun? She's right in front of us. '

"Fancy seeing you here! It's rare for you to accept my invites to the shrine. Why is that, Dewdrop? "

A frown formed on my face at the condescending nickname.

"Don't call me that. What did you want from me anyway? "

The Kitsune had a coy smile on her face as she patted the wooden step she sat on. I awkwardly made my way next to her and sat.

That invitation you sent a few years ago...

"The Fatui's actions thus far do not constitute a threat to eternity, otherwise... they would've been purged long ago."

"Your loyalty to that... thing worries me. Such commitment to something that is simply a hideaway is disappointing to see. "

"The Vision Hunt Decree comes at the cost of the people of Inazuma!" The blonde's face slowly flushed with anger.

"Individual ambition is inherently incompatible with eternity. What you might not realise is that, all too often... people have far more to lose by chasing their dreams. Consider this — no one will lose their life on account of having their vision taken away..."

You're a liar.

"Rather, those who have lost their lives are the ones who insisted on pursuing their own aspirations, are they not?"

How dare you speak so little of the people you torment? What type of God are you?

"Refrain from calling her eternal excellency a 'thing' when she is your God also. Being immortal does not give you free reign to disrespect God outright. If you invited me to just tease and push my buttons, find someone else. "

"Traveller, your existence is unique in my eyes. There seems to be limitless uncertainty in your life. To put it another way, you are the furthest thing from eternity. So I won't insist that you comprehend the meaning of my actions. What matters is that I tread the path of eternity on my people's behalf. "

"This is your Plane of Euthymia. It is created by your consciousness, yes? "

What?

A laugh escaped the Kitsune's lips as she stared in amusement.

"But that 'Eternal Excellency' you see everyday simply isn't real, dear."

"That's right. I'm surprised you understand it so well. You're looking for a chance to shake my will, aren't you?"

"That being you are so committed to is nothing but a vessel, a puppet for the real Shogun to reside and hide away from her responsibilities."

"I'm not here to debate your ideas."

The Kitsune hummed at the confused expression and came closer with a whisper.

"I'm surprised you haven't noticed the brutality the puppet uses to gain power over her subjects. I would've thought her right hand, her little guard dog, would've noticed something was off. After being labelled a force to be reckoned with and awarded an army to command, surely you would've noticed something weird with such a violent archon? That it wasn't normal for a God who loves her people eternally to use fear?"

"I'm here to demolish them."

"You disappoint me, General [L/N]"

"So be it. Well then, you who would defy eternity... time for you to enlighten me "

══════════════════

829 words

edited ✓