* ★ blushin' ♡ *

*

hinata stopped dead in his tracks. hesitantly leaning over the back of the couch to see y/n fast asleep.

pedro was already gone, off to college while the other two were left to their own devices.

"y/n?" hinata tried, morning voice croaky but soft as he watched her like a curious monkey.

eyes wide with his brows raised, his lips were pinched before his cheeks flushed pink when her eyes met his.

"y/n!"

"hinata? what time is it?" she asked, to which hinata held up his phone showing her the time, "how are you feeling? you still look pretty flushed."

"i don't think that's from being sick." he blurted out, "but thank you for taking care of me! and i'm sorry for being late last night! we never even ate." he rushed around the couch, bowing down to the girl as he was deeply sorry.

y/n's laughter broke him, watching a smile spread on her lips as she shook her head.

"that doesn't matter, what matters is that you weren't feeling good and now you do." her smile made him melt, eyes focusing in on her features as they fell lazy and relaxed.

"what can i do to make it up to you?" he asked, hands taking hers as he scooted closer.

"hm?" she was still smiling, the morning sun covering her in a beautiful glow, "we can spend the day together, if you want?"

"it's not about what i want." hinata blurted, "but i'll happily spend time with you any day!" he was content with himself for making her chuckle one last time before they planned for the day.

"i was supposed to start a project today but it can wait till tomorrow." the sound of hinata's head hitting the table made her turn.

"i'm getting in your way!" he cried, apologizing once again.

"it's fine, hinata!" y/n laughed, getting a bit worried, "come on, let's swing by my place so i can change then we'll go to the beach."

his head raised, "the beach?"

y/n nodded, "i want to start sketching now so it's not as hard when school starts." hinata nodded, eyes trailing off with his head in the clouds even as they arrived at the beach.

y/n's hand squeezed his as she sat under a tree connecting the grass to the sand.

hinata sat next to her and watched as she began to sketch out the landscape, little shadows of people playing on the beach with little umbrella's and blankets. he observed her movements, head tilting as a question swarmed him.

"is art your volleyball?" he asked, not seeing her eyes slide over to him.

"i guess so, yeah." she answered, a smile spreading on her cheeks as she doodled a little hinata.

"that's really cool, that you can just make anything." he mumbled, "like taking a picture with your mind and remaking it, that's really cool."

y/n just nodded along, glancing up to see a group of people with a volleyball. she looked back to hinata, seeing he was still looking at her paper.

"you know how you feel watching me draw?" she started, getting him to meet her eyes, "that's how i feel when i watch you play." her head nodded over to the group who were now playing at a net.

they traded a couple looks before a smile spread on hinata's lips, "can i draw you, hinata?" she asked, getting a nod from the smiling male.

"i'll try not to move much, just for you." with that he stood guard, not really sure how to ask to play until a stray ball came hurling over. he received it, tossing it over to the guy who was walking near them.

"hey, kid," he shouted, a drunken smile on his sunburnt cheeks, "how bout you sub for me so i can get a beer?"

y/n didn't mind as he ran off, greeting the others before a game started. she flipped to a new page, watching the game and specifically her crush.

"i really love you, hinata." she mumbled, returning the smile he sent her when he successfully spiked a ball.

it wasn't till the sun was trying to set did the two even think of leaving. after a couple shared smiles a girl from the group had invited y/n over to sit with them all while the others played volleyball.

they made a couple friends that night, all of which were super kind and friendly.

it reminded y/n of high school a bit. how everyone knew each other, how they all conversed so easily.

she was jealous, jealous she wasn't surrounded by her own group of friends that talked about anything all day.

"y/n, we need a receiver, come on!" hinata shouted, getting a couple cheers from the others.

y/n shook her head, laughing nervously when the male ran up to her and grabbed her hand, "come on, you know the basics so you'll be fine i promise." he smiled, winning her over.

"yeah! use that charming smile you got carrot top!" one of the guys cheered, getting the group to laugh.

"how long have you guys been together?" one of the girls on the sidelines asked as the ball was served, catching them both off guard.

the ball hit hinata right on the top of his head.

"dude!"

"little guy!"

"man are you alright? i didn't think that'd make you freeze up."

"no, i'm fine." he waved off, laughing, "used to it."

the conversation rolled onto the next thing, everyone laughing and cheering when y/n successfully received after trying and failing twice before.

it was nice, the group was chill and down to earth. the perfect people to meet during the summer.

"when she went face first into the sand i almost cried!" y/n laughed, both her and hinata leaning into each other as they walked to y/n's place.

"we should hang out with them more! the drunk guy gave me his number but never told me his name. said something about joining them for a beach volleyball competition." hinata repeated, getting a nod from y/n.

"yeah, they were really chill. i wasn't expecting to actually meet people here. i thought i'd end up alone, honestly." she trailed off, both walking up to her front door.

"what do you mean? you had tsukishima, kageyama, and me?" hinata asked as she opened the door.

she shrugged, "i dunno, i mean i didn't know you guys were even coming here till a week before. i'm also the only one staying for the year." she looked to him, quickly evading his gaze when she caught his eyes.

"i don't want you to be alone." hinata said, suddenly all those thoughts from last night came flooding back and he stumbled over his words, "i really like you, at least i think i do."

y/n turned to him with a confused look.

"what?" she started, "did you, not like me?" she asked, growing self conscious.

hinata's eyes widened, head shaking in tandem with his hands and arms, "no! i mean, in like a like, you know." he trailed off, a blush growing on his cheeks.

"i don't know, actually." she shook her head, eyes taking in what she was seeing.

her longtime crush stuttering and stumbling over his words after admitting he might've disliked her all along. but then she noticed the blush, the way his fingers dug under his skin and how his eyes avoided hers.

the nervous smile he was fighting, the way his eyebrows furrowed.

oh

oh

*