Zev was finishing the last of the soup when I stepped out. "That wasn't so bad." He placed the tray on the bedside table. I looked at the clock. It was nearly midnight.

I climbed into bed next to him and pulled the covers up. It was warm and cozy, just what I needed. I rested my cheek on his chest.

"Kylie?"

"Hm?"

"How long has it been since the explosion?"

"Two weeks and a half." I replied. "Why?" I played with his fingers before slowly taking his hand in mine.

"Well, for starters, I've noticed that you've slept here every night. Not that I mind, obviously. But I know it's not because I got hurt. You know I can take care of myself."

"What's your point?" I shifted a little so I could look up at him.

"You keep making excuses to be here, darling. If you want to stay, all you have to do is ask. But I need to know why."

Something lodged itself in my throat. I knew I had to talk about this eventually, but I didn't think it would be right now.

"I'm just... I'm scared to go home, Zev." His arm came around me and held onto my waist for support. I didn't know my voice was breaking until I heard it myself. "And I've tried, I really have, but I can't go to sleep alone. Even with you... all I get are nightmares."

"It will take time, love." He held my body close to him. I buried my face in my neck. I had given it almost three weeks. How long was I meant to go on like this for?

My hands were trembling. I held onto his shirt to make them stop, but they just trembled harder, and I really didn't know what to do.

Hot tears welled up in my eyes. Suddenly, I was a sobbing mess.

"I'm sorry." I hiccupped. I squeezed my eyes shut. This wasn't fair to him – he had been through the same thing I had. I really didn't want to cry in front of him.

"It's okay." He whispered into my hair. His hand came up to cup my face. "Listen, you need to know something."

He made me look at him. In the warm glow of his bedside lamp, his eyes looked so beautiful. "You're stronger than you think. You can get through this. Tackle it head-on. Don't keep putting it aside. If something's bothering you, you need to deal with it as soon as you can or it's going to hurt even more later."

"Are you kicking me out?"

"What? No!" He let out a little laugh. "Why are you so stupid?" My tears were beginning to dry. My breathing slowed down.

I brought my hand up to his chest. "I love you." I murmured.

"I love you too, sweetheart." He said. He kissed my lips. Once. Twice.

"What's going to happen now?"

"Now we try to get back to normal, I think. Take a break. We really need it."

"This city...."

"It's where you grew up. You're going to be fine."

I smiled at him.

"You're adorable." He murmured before kissing me again. This time, he didn't stop. His lips were warm and tasted like home, and they were kissing mine and it felt so good, and I felt...happy. Which was rare these days.

His hand gripped my waist harder as his kisses turned rougher. We were both careful trying not to hurt each other, but we both wanted it at the same time.

"Your physical... therapy thing... early...." I said in between kisses.

He just kissed me harder. His hands rested on my back before he pulled my body on top of his. We were entangled in each other almost like where he ended... I began.

Later, when he was asleep and I had nearly closed my eyes, I realized something.

I had made a mistake.

When he told me that this city was my home and I was going to be fine, I didn't ask him how he would deal with it.

And so it continued. Days after days of me sleeping over, spending so much time with him. I was happy.

"I realized that I'm going to be okay now." I smiled at him one evening.

He smiled back, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "I told you. You're so strong, my love." He kissed my cheek.

That night, we went to sleep in the same bed. I didn't have any nightmares, I slept peacefully for the first time in weeks.

But when I woke up in the early hours of sunrise,

He was gone.