Chapter One: The Rumour

A cheery melody flows through the air, causing your eyes to open slightly. Birds were singing their morning songs outside of your open window, the chorus of chirps a calming sensation to your ears.

You let your body sink into the comfort of your bed, the blanket surrounding your figure in a warm, comfy hug. The bird's song was like a lullaby, a lulling song, making you wish to fall back into your pleasant nap.

However, the light drawing slowly from the window told you that the day had already begun without you. A soft sigh escaped your lips as you fidgeted to get out of your bed.

The warm, summer breeze danced to you through the window, causing the soft lace on your old curtains to twirl in the air. You like summer. Summer meant life, and life to the fullest. The smell of bread wafted to your nose, piquing your interest. A smile spread across your face. The bakery is open.

You went over to your drawer to find what to wear for the day. Weekends are the greatest, no school, no worries, you thought. Today will be so much fun, you could feel it.

You straightened your Victorian-style plaid pinafore dress with your hands, admiring the brown and cream colour blend. The black ribbon in your hair was tied up in a small bow, the tails falling down to your shoulders. The perfect outfit for a relaxing day in the summer breeze...

Rushing out of your room, you searched for your hand basket in the entrance way of your cottage home. When you found it under your picnic blanket that was strewn carelessly over the top, you stuffed the blanket inside, and briskly walked to the front door. The stained glass on the door was shimmering in the morning light, it was beautiful.

You swing open the old door, and close it behind you with a soft creak. 'Take a breath in, Y/N,'  you could hear your mother say. 'Fresh air can cure any doubt.'  You breathed in, closing your eyes and focusing on the warmth of the sun. The air gave a calming sensation as it reached your lungs. You breathed out, opening your eyes once more. The feeling inside of you was unmistakable. I miss you, Mum.

The smell of fresh bread became stronger as you drew closer to the bakery in the centre of town. Children rushed by you, squealing and laughing with joy. You wish you could join them, but you knew they would think you were too old to play with six year olds. Oh well, you thought. I have books to keep me company.

As you opened the door to the bakery, a bell sounded above your head, signalling your entrance. The baker looked up from whatever he was busy with and gave you the biggest grin you had ever seen anyone give you. You were his favourite customer.

'Why, hello! Care for the usual, Y/N?' he said cheerily, already moving to grab your favourite pastry out of the display glass cabinet.

'You know it, sir.' you replied, your face beaming at the thought of the pastry's taste. He chuckled, and placed the fluffy dessert into your basket, which you had already put onto the counter for him.

'You know what it'll cost you,' The man said, moving to grab some flour.

'Teach me somethin'.'

You cleared your throat as he patted down some flour onto the counter beside you.

'"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." Jackie Robinson said that. He's a baseball player.' You say, watching the baker starting to knead some dough on the counter as he processes what you say.

'Well, that certainly is something, ain't' it? Thanks, kid.' he said, turning away and walking into the pantry.

You grabbed your basket and looked inside, seeing the small pastry. Your stomach grumbled, which made you smile, and you walked out of the store.

Another soft breeze goes by, making your dress's hem dance in the wind's motion. Almost there, you thought, a feeling of happiness stirring inside of you. The weeping willow tree was on the top of the hill you were climbing, with a lovely view of Mt Ebbot. It was also the perfect spot to eat your treat in peace.

Once you got up the hill, you sat down on the swing that was attached to one of the lower hanging branches, and put your hand basket on top of your lap. You reached into the basket, plucking out the pastry. It warmed your hands to the touch. Fresh. While you stared out and admired the scenery of Mt Ebbot's wood and forestry, you nimble on the pastry, careful to not drop too many crumbs onto the fresh, green lawn.

When you finished your treat, you sighed and started to swing slowly back and forth. The calm and peacefulness of this moment... It relaxed you. Your gaze flickered to a patch of beautiful white flowers a few feet from you. You smiled as you remembered a better time. 

'Can we pick these ones two, Mama?' you asked, holding your new hand basket tightly and staring at the cute white flowers in front of you. 'Of course, my dear.'

You shook your head, ridding yourself of the memory. It wasn't the time to be thinking of that. Hopping down from the swing and brushing yourself off, you walk over to the flower patch and crouch down. Picking only a few, you examine them more closely, looking for any insect stowaways that may still be on them. Once you're satisfied, you place them in your basket.

By the time you get back to the village, the sun is already high in the sky. You look down at your now-full basket with a big variety of different wild flowers. What am I going to do with these anyway?  You suddenly think. I'll just pass them out at the Elderly Home.

As you make your way there however, something piques your ear's attention. 'Did you hear what she said?' A tall woman with her hair tied up into a bun asked the older woman beside her. 'About the child?' The woman with the bun nodded. The older woman tsked a few times before replying, 'I don't see what the fuss is about! So the little girl goes missing, she's probably off exploring the field for all we know.' the lady said, tidying up her hair.

That stopped you. A child wandering off? Alone? 'But Margret, she's only six! The poor girl could of been eaten by wolves or something.' You shuddered. That hadn't happened in years, but the thought still scared everyone in town. 'Stop making yourself worry about a child that isn't even yours! The kid's going to turn up eventually. Let the mother worry herself.' Margret said, walking away from the other lady in a huff.

This felt wrong. Why would she not care about a child going missing, especially when we live so close to Mt Ebbot? The mountain everyone warned the children of... Something primal burned inside of you. Something needs to be done.