31

By 6pm, Xiao and I are cleaned up and nonchalantly riding the elevator up to Xiao's dad, whose bed we totally didn't just have sex in. I have the book in my bag, and when the doors open, we quietly walk down the hall, making turns until we finally reach room 309.

For some reason, I feel nervous as I walk in and see Zhongli laying there with his eyes closed—mainly out of guilt for sleeping with his son on his bed to be honest, but also for doing it while he's sick in the hospital.

My eyes go to the heart monitor to find that his vitals are thankfully stable, and the two of us sit beside him as he sleeps. I reach over to touch Xiao, my thumb gently tracing the details of his hand. We talk quietly amongst one another, until Zhongli finally makes a noise. Our heads turn together to watch as the man blinks himself awake and returns the gaze. A soft smile takes his lips.

"Well," he says softly, "hello Traveler, Xiao."

"Hey Zhongli," I give a sad smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Oh," he says, pausing, "don't worry about me. I'll be alright. It's good to see you again."

Same to you," I say. "Although, I wish it wasn't like this."

He chuckles lightly. "It's quite unfortunate, isn't it? Oh well, I guess we can't change what's already been done."

"How long did they say you'll have to be here for?"

"Not sure," he says. "Could be a couple more days, could be a couple more weeks."

I frown. "Hopefully sooner than that." I dig into the bag at my side and pull out his book, placing it on the hospital nightstand instead. "Childe told me to get you this."

"Ah yes, my book. Thank you." Zhongli doesn't try to reach for it or anything. He looks exhausted, and his eyes close for a moment.

"Dad?" Xiao says, then stands up, placing his hands on Zhongli's arm. "Dad? Dad!"

"Huh?" Zhongli's eyes open again slowly, and he looks up at Xiao. A soft smile spreads over his lips, and he reaches up to pat his arm. "How was your trip?" he says softly.

Xiao frowns, searching his eyes and looking ashamed. "I'm sorry," he says, then lowers his head. I start to hear sniffles, and immediately reach a hand out to his back, rubbing it gently. "I w-wish I was here for you sooner..." Tears start to trickle down his cheeks, and now I'm getting emotional because Xiao crying hurts my heart.

"Xiao," Zhongli says, now reaching for his face to wipe away the tears, "come on son, no need to be upset. You did nothing wrong. I'm very happy you finally went out and did something new. I would feel bad if you didn't go."

"See?" I say. "I told you he'd be happy for you. It's okay, please don't cry..."

"I'm not crying!" Xiao says through sniffles as he wipes aggressively at his eyes. His lip quivers, and then—realizing he can't hold it in much longer—he leans over to engulf Zhongli in a hug, as his shoulders shiver from the cries he tries so hard to keep silent.

Zhongli smiles, rubbing his back gently. "You're alright," he says. "I'm alright too."

——

It's 8pm when I hear footsteps take a corner into the room. The three of us look up, expecting a nurse to come in and kick us out, but instead we see a tall ginger holding a cup tray.

"Hey comrades," Childe says with a smile. "I brought you guys some drinks. He hands off a bottle of water for Xiao, a sweet tea for me, and a hot tea for Zhongli. Childe let's out a sigh, tossing the empty paper tray to the bin and staring at the man in bed. "You alright? You look tired."

"So do you," Zhongli teases. "Did you finish with your errand?"

"Oh yeah I did." Childe walks over and leans down to leave a soft, passionate kiss against Zhongli's lips. He takes his hand, sitting down on the opposite side of us and pressing that hand against his lips.

"Are you sleeping here again tonight?" Zhongli says.

"Of course I am," Childe replies. "I don't want to sleep at home without you. I'll worry too much about you. Until they let you free, our bed will remain untouched."

Xiao and I share a quick, secret look, and I have to stifle a smile by sucking in my cheeks a bit and narrowing my eyes.

Zhongli searches Childe's eyes. "I know it's uncomfortable..."

The harbinger laughs. "You think I give a shit about comfort? Nice try old man, but you're not getting rid of me that easily."

Zhongli smiles, shaking his head. "That's unfortunate."

He laughs again. "I love you, smartass," he says, then leans in to kiss him once more.

Not going to lie, I'm smiling as I watch them. Something about them makes me want to be closer to Xiao. I take his hand and he looks up at me.

"We should probably go," he says. "Visiting hours are up. They only allow one person past 8."

"Oh right," Childe says. "I forgot to tell you guys that. Good looks, Xiao, Aether. Thanks for stopping by and getting that book."

"Yeah..." I say, "yeah no problem." Another quick glance between Xiao and I, before we both give Zhongli a hug and say our goodnights.

"Oh, and by the way..."  Xiao and I stop in our tracks just in front of the exit. We both turn slowly toward the ginger staring us down as he speaks. "You put the sheets on inside out. Rookie move." Childe waves his phone at us, and our mouths drop. We immediately look to Zhongli, who already seems to be passed out...probably for the better. Our faces are bright red and neither of us can seem to get a word out. Childe shakes his head, though the slightest ghost of a smirk lingers at the corners of his lips. "I wasn't born yesterday guys. Anyway, goodnight. Please, do find another bed to sleep in."

We both mumble a sorry and do the walk of shame down the hallway, disappearing into the elevator.
————————————————————
TO BE CONTINUED (Guys, it's cute that you're making friends, but can you move it to discord or something lol. I'd like to see notifications about the story. No hard feelings though)