5.8: Day Eight - Old Dominic

Comenzar desde el principio

"How else were we going to keep warm?"

"Your hand could have helped yo- Oophm-" I yelped at the end as Dominic grabbed me by the hips and tugged me back down to his lap, his arms wrapped around me as his unshaven jawline grazed along the crook of my neck, which made me squirm and laugh at the tickling effects from his prickly skin. His exhales made it worst and I was already failing at keeping myself together.

"I'm sorry that we had to come spend our break here," He whispered with a guilty tone.

"It's fine."

"I'll make up for it," He cooed. "I promise."

"There's no need, honest," I replied as I slid my fingers up and down his forearms. "I just like this. Being here and having you back is exactly what I've wanted."

"I'm sorry I lied to you about everything, treating you so badly-" His voice faded and he sounded a little hurt. I shuffled myself around to face him, sitting with my legs at either side of his body as I wrapped my arms around his neck. His pretty hazel eyes expressed his concerns and worries, I shook my head and kissed him, but he pulled back, stroking the side of my face as he said, "Sometimes... No, all the time, whenever I see you smile, I think back to everything you've done for me and I always think that I don't deserve you."

"W-What?" He caught me off guard.

His fingers trailed down the side of my face and cupped my chin, his thumb lightly stroked my lower lip ever so gently, and his eyes never broke contact from mine. A sigh escaped him and he showed vulnerability, from the unkempt hair to the stubbles. I loved him irregardless of his features, this Dominic that I cuddled up to was the same old Dominic that I fell in love with. I smiled from the memories I shared with him and I giggled at the similarities to the man before me.

"What's so funny?"

"You need to shave."

"Don't you like the new feature on my face?"

"For a lawyer, no, but for Dominic Walsh, I could live with it," I said with a grin, trying to cheer him up, and it worked. He let out a chuckle and asked, "Why did you change the subject?"

"The whole reason we got involved in this mess and managing to get from point A to B was because all I ever wanted was you to be happy and free."

Dominic's lips parted as he looked amazed at what I managed to say.

"I mean, I still loved you when you changed and after everything, I still love you now, and when I see you smiling, it makes me happy." My words were coming direct from my brain, and I tried to make it sound less childish than it did in my head. "If that makes any sense."

"Fuck, Annie. How am I gonna top that?"

I raised my shoulders up and down to shrug, having no idea what he meant by that at all.

"I'm so fucking lucky," He beamed as he grasped the back of my head and pulled me close to him, locking our lips one more time.

We spent a good amount of time alone in that office, enjoying the luxury of each other's company, but by the time our stomachs rumbled, Dominic dragged me out of there before I could even say that I was hungry. The man used to always say to me - back when we first started dating - that as soon as we became official, I was suddenly predictable to him, and even though our relationship was new, he already knew he didn't want us to be separated. Ever.

I could go on and on about our past, but what's important now is the future.

The future with the man sitting opposite me in that corner diner with only three or four other customers, we sat there in silence, waiting for our food. He wouldn't stop grinning from ear to ear as he stared at me, which made me self conscious about my appearance.