Chapter 14

Later that evening, Harry found himself hanging in front of the pub. As soon as he spotted the expected woman, he straightened himself up, waiting for her to reach the door.

Before Gina could enter, Harry stepped in front of her. 'I'm not a quitter, you know?' Earned a glare from her.

'Move!,' she exclaimed.

Harry shook his head, 'promise you'll have pizza with me tonight, then I'll be on my way.'

'I'm not promising anything. Get out of my way,' her emotionless voice replied.

Still standing, Harry just stared back into her eyes, the very eyes he wanted to fall for so badly. 'Please' is all he said.

'I have a late shift.' she responded before squeezing herself away from him into the pub.

It was almost midnight when Gina finished her job for the day. As she walked out of the pub, she met with a tall figure, leaning on the wall across the street. His face smirked at her before making his way towards her. Gina was trying to walk the other way, but of course, where could she go? It was just a narrow street around the campus. 'You owe me a date,' stated Harry.

'I never promised you anything,' she cooly answered.

Smiling, Harry responded back, 'then I walked home with you.' 'As simple as that....I'm sure you want me home with you.'

'Stop messing with me!,' she stopped in the middle of the footpath.

'Pizza,' he paused. 'The last thing I heard was that Margarita was your favourite.'

'Look, if this is your way to say sorry...,' Gina started talking.

'No, it's not. If you remember, I want to know you more,' Harry immediately responded.

Gina rolled her eyes, 'stop it! I know you're not like this. I'm not here for you to play with.'

His serious voice answered, 'whatever you know might or might not be true, fresher. If you really want to know if I play with you or not, you must get to know me yourself....Not from others.'

Gina hesitantly looked back and forth between her way home and Harry. The last thing she knew was Harry sitting in her room while calling a pizzeria.

The two of them sat at different ends of the sofa, doing nothing. Gina's eyes admired the ceiling of her own room, while Harry did the same to the floor. Her doorbell rang, and both quickly stood up and made their way towards the pizza guy. 'That'd be 17.85.' Harry quickly brought out his wallet. Not fast enough anyway.

'I should pay. I made the call,' he protested.

'Stop whining and eat. I owed you last time,' Gina answered.

Harry said, 'so you remember our last time, huh?'

'If you're here to fuck. I suggest you go now,' she responded.

Harry groaned, 'jeeezzz, why so tense?. I'm only teasing. I wanna be your friend.'

'Why do you wanna be friend with me?,' she asked.

He shrugged, 'why not?...'

Gina rolled her eyes, walking to the refrigerator, 'so sir, I don't have expensive wine. Will beer do?'

'Yes, darling. A beer will do,' he answered with the same mockery tone.

The two were sharing pizza and sipping their beer. They talked about everything, from Oxford to childhood; from weather to politics. Laughter filled the room when they made jokes about different things. It seemed they had known each other for a long time. Tonight, Gina realised the Harry in front of her was different from the Harry that night.

'You remind me of a golden retriever,' she said.

'What?! A dog?,' he said laughing.

She responded with the same laugh, 'yeah, like a puppy.'

Suddenly, Harry hopped onto the sofa and howled. He shook his fluffy hair like a dog shaking its fur.

'Stop! You're being weird,' Gina raised her hand to calm him down.

'So we're friends?,' Harry asked.

She nodded with a smile plastered on her face. Harry returned it with a brighter smile. He, then, continued biting his pizza.

'Why the Riot club?,' Gina asked, looking at him almost lying on the sofa.

He sighed, looking up at the ceiling, 'tradition. Almost every man in my family was in it. Besides, it's the root of connection behind every important desk in this country.'

Gina stayed silent, staring at him. A few seconds later, she replied, 'so you'll be behind one important desk yourself, huh?'

'Well, that's what I should do.,' he said, smiling tightly.

'But what do you wanna do?,' she asked, tilting her head.

Harry got up, facing her. He stared at her for a moment, 'I wanna run a farm. Lambs.'

Gina's eyebrows quirked up. 'That's dirty. It doesn't sound like you honestly.'

'I know. But it's what I wanna try,' Harry replied sadly.

Gina put her hand on top of his, 'I'm sure you can do it. Don't let other people's expectation rules your life. I mean...C'mon, you have all the money in the world. Fuck it if you'll be the only one in your family who's not an MP.'

Harry let out a hearty laugh, 'thank you.'

Looking at a clock on the wall, he decided it was time to go home. He declared, 'I think I should go now.'

As he rose from the sofa, she did the same. They both walked to the door. Harry grabbed his jacket, walking out of the door. He, then, turned back, facing her standing in front of the door. 'Thank you for tonight. I had a great time,' he said.

'Yeah, me too. You walk home safely, ok? Text me when you reach home,' Gina responded.

Harry nodded and walked away, smiling. It was the first time he felt peace in his heart. Talking to her, it was a strange comfort he had never experienced before. It felt like home. He walked down the stairs, contemplating whether he wanted this to be a friendship or more. It was so long since his last serious relationship. His head was divided into two, fighting each other. He was ready to be serious with love again, but, somehow, it might feel weird to have someone standing beside him, waking up with him, crying, laughing with him.

As he was about to walk out the building, he swiftly turned back and ran upstairs. Knocking on the same door he had just left, he felt his palm sweating. The excitement, the nerve, the fear were gathered in his chest. Gina opened the door, 'You forgot some—'

Harry grabbed her face, startling her with a kiss. When she came to the realisation, she let herself kiss him back. They both walked into the room, lips still intertwining. After a few seconds, they pulled back, trying to read each other's expressions.

'Fuck it, I don't wanna be just friend. You make me feel something. I can't remember the last time I felt like this,' Harry said, breathing heavily.

'I...I don't know. Your reputation—,' Gina replied.

Harry nodded, 'my reputation isn't my character.' He grabbed both of her hands, 'I promise you. I'll prove it to you. I'll be good.'

Gina blinked. A soft whisper came out of her mouth, 'ok.'

With that, they started kissing again. The kiss turned into a making-out session and into something more. But this time, it became more passionate, more loving. This time, he did not sneak out as he used to do to other women. This time, they were cuddling in bed. This time, he found peace with her lying on his chest.