11. Catch My Drift

Start from the beginning

"OKAY, EVERYBODY!!! LISTEN UP! CHILDREN FIRST, THEN WOMEN, THEN MEN PLEASE LINE UP FOR PRAYER!" Riley's Grandma yells to the best of her ability through the house. Immediately, all the little kids rush through the crowd of people in the house and then the women follow. The men take their time. Once everyone is lined up in the hall connecting the kitchen, dining, and living room, Riley's mom speaks up, "God. We thank you for this beautiful day to gather together in this beautiful blessing of a house..."

She continues praying and ends in a quiet 'amen'. I grab a plate once it is my turn and pick out a piece of ham and some mashed sweet potatoes, but that is it. I want to save room for tonight. 

"Wait till we open presents. That is the best part of the night. That and seeing family and friends of course." Me and Riley are sitting down at the end of the adult table and talking about the event so far. "I look always look forward to this after Halloween."

"I feel that. I can't wait."

"You will love what I got you."

"Not as much as you will love what I got you," I respond. "Seriously, thank you for inviting us."

I look over at my mother making new friends with some of the women from church. She smiles as she throws her head back laughing at what someone said. This is a great environment for her to step out of her shell. She may appear tough and confident but on the inside she has as much anxiety as I do. I get it all from her. But this event will be nice for her. She isn't going with me tonight to Marco's party, so her plate is piled with delicious looking food. 

~~~

The afternoon is passing, and everyone gathers outside as the event comes to an end.

"Thank you for coming Isabelle and Mrs. Taylor. We loved having you." Rileys mother gives us her goodbye and goes to thank another family after us.

 I hug Riley and let her know I will text her the details of my night to her tomorrow. I get into the car and wait for my mom to start the car after she gathers herself. We drive home and I get my presents for Marco ready. After saying my goodbyes, I am ready to drive to his families house.

~~~

The address he sent me sends me to a large manor. The drive up the long drive way and am immediately greeted with a valet parking booth. A kind man is right at my door to open it for me and asks for my keys. 

"I am so sorry. I did not think I would need to bring money for a tip."

"Oh don't worry Miss. We are getting paid plenty by the fine gentleman who owns this home," he tell me. "We are hired every year by this family. And Sir Ambrose retires, and his grandson takes over, we will probably continue to be hired annually. But thank you for your concern."

I stare up at the grand house in front of me. I was not expecting this. I am shocked with a strangers hand around my wrist, so I gasp and yank my hand away, but when I look down it is just Marco. 

"Oh my gosh! You scared me." I place one hand on his shoulder and the other on my chest and try to catch my breath. 

"It's only me. Lets get inside. It is cold out here." He takes my hand and we walk into the large building. The entrance is even more grand than the outside, decorated with silver and white snow everywhere. To the right is a large Christmas tree, maybe ten feet high, filled with silver and white decorations, standing in front of two grand stair cases. I look around in amazement and finally my eyes meet Marcos as we stand blocking the front entrance.