must have been the wind - c. bellinger [pt. 2]

requested by @gizzey_44
tw: mentions of abuse.

The past couple of days Cody's mind had been on everything but baseball. He frequently found himself thinking about the girl above him 24/7.

Since she wasn't willing to fully open up yet, Cody had constantly been trying to keep her nearby and invite her to games, get ice cream, even go to Sam's club when he got the chance.

The girl, whose name was Aubrey, tended to decline though, because she was obviously well aware of her situation and being out with another guy would make it worse if anyone found out.

Aubrey had only actually known Cody for about a week or two. She'd seen him in passing, but as of late she'd felt a deep trust for him. She knew Cody knew what was going on even if she didn't say anything. But unfortunately, especially for how long this all had been going on, Aubrey was feeling too scared and weak to confront her boyfriend. If she did, she didn't want Cody getting roped into it. Aubrey also was aware of how it'd end if she broke up with him. She'd get even more black and blue and would really not be able to leave now.

It didn't help that her and her boyfriend had been high school sweethearts and both of their parents thought everything was perfect. Her mom even gave her boyfriend the nod that if he ever wanted to propose soon she'd be perfectly in love with the idea.

Cody obviously wasn't aware of this, but he got the impression that if the girl was this scared to leave it had to of been going on for a while.

He knew he had to save this girl, and protect her. But he wasn't sure how right now.

Cody stared at his bare grey wall, trying to think of ways to get this girl to open up and let him help her.

Suddenly, his phone rang and he hesitantly got up to take it. Man, was he exhausted.

After finding out it was merely the Uber eats driver with his food, he agreed to go downstairs and pick up his pizza so he could eat.

Cody decided to take the elevator down, and as soon as the door opened he was met with Aubrey, whose face was overshadowed by a black Nike hat.

"Hey," he nodded slowly, stepping in as she waved and smiled from underneath her cap.

The pair lived farther up in the building, so the ride was rather long if you factor in all the stopping, going, and other people getting in and out of it.

At that point, Cody and Aubrey had gotten squished into a corner together and were rather close.

He realized Aubrey was off. She always was. But she refused to speak or look up at him.

"Are you alright?" he whispered, still getting a couple glances of what the 'deal' was from the other people cluttered in with them despite him being so quiet about it.

Aubrey's breath hitched as she turner her body in a way so only Cody could see her face, and brought a manicured nail up to her lips and stretched it wide.

Cody had to restrain from gasping as a pool of blood nearly fell out of her mouth. His hand gently grazed her jawline as he examined it further, realizing her tooth was chipped as well.

"What the f*ck happened?" he shivered, still trying not to drag any unnecessary attention on them.

"I- I don't know," she lied. Aubrey was scared. She was shaky. And she didn't know what to say. Cody already knew what was going on, but she still felt like she couldn't elaborate on things.

"That's f*cking it," he grunted, as the elevator doors to floor seven opened and he pulled her out behind her as gently as he possibly could.

Cody felt eyes sail as the other people in the elevator watched them vigorously exit the elevator onto such a random floor. Right when the doors closed, the man had to resist the urge to drop a ridiculous amount of swear words and threats towards Aubrey's boyfriend. Gosh, was he absolutely pissed off.