𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝 [𝐜. 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫]

For A
TW: mentions of abuse

Cody's pov—

I shuddered as the second 'thump!' and yell echoed from the floor above me.

The same sounds have been scaring the shit out of me for the past week or so of the offseason.

Though I'm not around a lot, I've lived here long enough to know a little bit about who my neighbors are, and I've seen their sillohettes on the balcony above.

One's a girl. A small, very tan (but ghostly) brunette with sunny highlights and big brown eyes.

The others a guy. Not gonna lie he gives me the creeps. Not in a weird Uncle way. More like a coldly, obsessive, stalker-type way.

But I don't think I would've thought too much of it until tonight. I mean, some girls are just into that I guess. Weird guys with money. Plus, I was not really home enough during the season to have this on my mind.

But once I saw a little tan leg dangling down over the top of the terrace, it scared the shit out of me. And my dog.

Junior barked at the sight, sending me to the window with a gasp.

My adrenaline rushed as I opened the door and stuck my head over the railing, looking up at the torn girl above.

Tears streamed down her face as she held a necklace in her hands. She saw me. I know she did. But just refused to acknowledge me.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked, "Please don't do what I think you're gonna do."

"Fine." she quietly returned, taking a frightened peek back at her glass sliding door, before hoisting herself back over to the safe side of the railing without taking another look back at me.

"Wait—" I begged, "I've been hearing a lot of noise and—"

"I promise you it was nothing." she weakly smiled.

The whole interaction was so odd. She just went inside after that.

"What the hell?" I asked myself, and Junior (my dog).

He looked at me with big pupils. His eyes were glistening and gave him a teary-eye look.

I heavily sat down on the couch, patting my thigh as I let him crawl into my lap, "We should probably go check it out, huh Junior?"

His ears perked up at the sound of his name as he looked towards the door. I gave him a nod.

Junior leapt out of my lap and dashed towards the door, getting on his hind legs as he sprang towards the doorknob.

I took his leash of the counter, hooking it onto his dangily collar that slightly clinged at every step.

Going down the hall and towards the stairwell, I went up a floor, and soon found myself in front of the door above mine.

I hesitantly knocked, as Junior scratched his claws against the door. I quickly tried to gather my thoughts, if something was wrong I couldn't just prance in and fix it like that. I didn't want to intrude either.

I felt my spinal cord straighten out as the door inched open. Through the crack, I could see one big brown eye, a feint purple circle surrounding the area.

"Hi," she slowly whispered, turning her eyes away from me and back to whatever was behind her.

"Look I don't wanna bug you or anything— or scare you— or weird you out—"

Solid move Cody. You're doing all three.

Her eyes continued to roam from me, then back to the inside of her apartment.

"I've been hearing a lot of noise..." was all I choked out, as she stared down at Junior and nodded.

"Oh! Yeah..." she awkwardly grinned, almost a plead for help. Her hand began to shake against the door as her brown eyes deepened into mine, "I haven't heard a thing, sorry though."

I shook my head. The image of her 'boyfriend' suddenly came into frame, as he stood closely behind her and visciously shot me looks that were signaling it was time to go.

"You better get going." she removed her hands from the door and slowly let it close.

Our eyes never disconnected, as I mouthed, "I'm here."

*

It's been over a week since I've last seen the people above me or heard any noise. And I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

I've repeatedly went back and forth with myself whether I should go check it out again or not. It seemed she became more stiff when I was there, rather when she talked to me from the edge of her balcony prior that night.

I didn't wanna make more problems for her.

I placed a hand on my pounding head. Come to think of it this has been bugging me more than I realized.

It's not like I knew her very well, but no person should be living like how I think she is. Stranger or not, I knew what I had to do.

I got up from my couch and went towards my bedroom, grabbing a Dodgers cap to cover my messy hair and shade my tired eyes. But as I inched towards the door, a knock on the other side was heard before I could leave.

I sighed. Please don't let this be another case of some guy leaked my address on Twitter.

I slowly opened it, and to my surprise was met with the 5'3 brunette with a dark purple eye. Darker than it was last week.

"Shit- uh," she started, "I just-"

"No, come in." I quickly insisted, stepping aside for her to walk inside.

She stood there for a second, almost looking around to make sure nobody was watching her, and wobbily walked in.

"Don't rush it Cody." I internally reminded myself, not wanting to jump right into "if your being hit let me beat this fucker up before we call the police and you sue his ass."

"Woah, you look a little dizzy there." I started, as she slid down my wall and onto the hardwood floor, sinking into her shaky legs and forming into a ball.

She didn't answer that, but breathily replied with, "I didn't know where else to go." instead.

She began to sob into her bare legs that exposed black and blue bruises all over.

I carefully sat down next to her, trying to not invade her space which seemed to obviously happen a lot. I wanted her to know she was safe.

"Hey, it's okay. Just... let it out," I softly spoke, "It's gonna be alright. But you have to tell somebody, and it doesn't have to be me but—"

My eyes widened as her head sank into my chest. Her cries were becoming lighter and less distressed.

I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her, as we sat there and she calmed down.

"You're gonna be alright. I'll make sure of it."

a/n: oh my goshhh i finally got a chapter out!! requests just keep coming lmfao, i'm trying to get to all of them <33
note that class is in session for me so updates won't be regularly :(
make sure to vote n comment!! i love hearing from you guys and if u have any suggestions/requests dm me!! <3