𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 [𝐞. 𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐫]

For Sadie.

I panted heavily, resting my hands on my head after my 4 mile treadmill run. Despite living in San Diego, I couldn't stretch myself enough to get out on those streets alone.

I'm not a very big social person. I never was. I stuck close to my tight group of friends through college, but just recently kind of branched out on my own due to work and the given situation.

Since the pandemic started it's gotten worse. I can't see anyone, and though I do prefer to be alone social interaction is supposedly considered an 'essential'.

Not to mention my anxiety, I practically start shaking whenever someone gets into the elevator with me. And that, is exactly why I watch through the windows whenever i'm down here.

Once my workout is done, I like to take peeks through the glass to make sure nobody is going into the lobby from outside to avoid getting into the elevator with them.

Yeah. It was that bad.

After I assure the coast is clear, I walk quickly from the gym, through the lobby, and towards the elevator. I usually smile through my mask at the lobby security/front desk just so I dont seem as weird as I actually am.

But today, somehow my plan had been breached.

As I went towards the lift, a man came from the mail room in a hurry.

I internally cursed at myself, taking in his appearance as i thought of ways to get out of this situation.

He was tall, wore a wrinkly hoodie and baseball cap, along with a large backpack with a couple of bats hanging out of it. He stood behind me, but at a comfortable distance.

An idea popped into my mind as the bell rang and the big metal doors opened

Cursing to myself, I quietly said, "My earbuds!" and hurried back over to the gym.

I unlocked and opened the gym door and waited in there for about 15 seconds, thinking the man would've left without me. But of course, to my expense he was still standing there. Hand out, politely holding open the door. Waiting. Waiting for me.

I tried not to frown as I made an effort to act thankful. Troublesomely returning his glowing smile as I hopped in with him.

As the door closed, he stood near the button panel and asked, "Which floor?"

"Oh, nineteen, please." I awkwardly answered.

I watched him press nineteen, then press floor thirty.

He turned back to me as we started moving and then quiered, "New here?"

I shook my head, "No, I've been here for almost three years actually."

"Ah, okay." he nodded, "Yeaah, I just don't think I've ever seen you before. Big building though." his eyes brightened.

"Yea... I don't really get out a lot." I slightly shook, my voice cracking a little as the words came through.

He just blankly stared at me, as we vexatiously stood there in that elevator. The longest ride of my lifetime, I think.

"Floor thirty? That's high, huh?" I began, as I stared at the two lit buttons on the panel, hoping I wasn't making him feel uncomfortable despite my discomfort.

"Yep. It's pretty up there," he laughed, "But hey, the higher you go the better the view, right?"

"I guess so." I started to smile.