Jem: Hypothetical Friends and Relentless Shakespeare Quoting [edited]

Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Hypothetical Friends and Relentless Shakespeare Quoting

Jem

"Shit," I swore faintly, unconsciously verbal. An upsurge of uncontrollable panic swelled in my chest. What has that boy got himself into this time?

She blinked at me and scanned the whole room for the sudden commotion. "What happened?"

"That idiot was born."

As if summoned, a shout rose from the kitchen and there was a scuffle of something smashing into the contact of a hard item. The crowd surged back, straying from the fight but their eyes never lost sight. All around cheers were given, gasps and laughs were voiced.

"Fuck," I swore with all the necessary connotations.

Ellis and I circled over to the kitchen where I found my best friend floored with too many narcotics in his system, molesting an innocent pretty fourteen-year-old freshman who looked too afraid and too polite to make him stop. A hulking footballer, whom I recognized was Jason Kellington, a fellow teammate on my football team as well as my highest competitor for Quarterback, threw a punch towards Heath and Caleb had wedged himself in between Heath and Jason, trying to pull Jason's bulky frame from ending the life of my asshat of a best friend.

"This again," I sighed, stepping over to the scene.

Jason glared at my arrival, his bloodshot eyes were bulging out of his sockets to the point of comical, and his whole attention was abruptly diverted from Heath towards me. The crowds were streaming in as my intervention was some holy grail of their captivation. They barricaded Jason and me so that this was entirely inescapable.

Ellis and Caleb helped escort Heath out of harm's way, dragging his flailing body over to the couches.

"What the fuck you want, Leighton?" spat Jason, "This isn't your fucking problem so be careful with what business you meddle in."

"Look, first of all: I just want a peaceful party without any blood or cops. And second, Heath's my best friend so it's very well my fucking problem. Third, there's one of you and Caleb's ready to back me up so that means it's two against one. Maybe you should be the careful one here, Bricks."

Jason was flabbergasted. "Bricks?"

I nodded, "Yes, you're Bricks. New nickname, Jason. It's what I've decided to call you. Mainly because you've shared many characteristics of a brick; you see you're both inarticulate, non-sentient and associated with being heavy."

"Jem," beseeched Caleb warily.

"Oh shh, Caleb. Don't take the fun out of anything."

"He's trying not to let Jason have an excuse for taking your head off," muttered a disgruntled Ellis but was too late. Jason growled and aimed for my head, his fist barrelling towards me as I ducked his lunge.