𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚈-𝙵𝙸𝚅𝙴 burn the money, read the books

Start from the beginning

The woman recognized her immediately as well. She grinned.

"Heidi, how nice to see you." She said, her gaze turning to Frieda who sat at one of the front desks. "Your sister already warned me, she said you would be late today." Heidi nodded slowly, imagining how Frieda had stood up from her desk with a smug expression and told everyone with a loud and sort of prideful tone that her sister was late and that she wasn't. She was sure Frieda had been boasting about her superior time managing.

The teacher then told the two friends to sit down in the spots that remained, Heidi lit up as she saw Tilda was still sitting alone. Alexander on the other hand sat down next to Franz Günther, a real menace from across the bridge. His parents were filthy rich but he wasn't as classy and humble about it as Tilda.

As their first day went on , Heidi and all students watched Gertude in awe. When telling them about the rules in her classroom she explained how she would never punish them physically for being late, or forgetting to do their homework.

She would potentially give them an extra assignment if it happened regularly, which everyone found fair.

"Now, enough of the rules." Gertrude said, rolling her eyes up at the painted ceiling Heidi had been occasionally looking at. It had nothing to do with her previous classroom. My human was almost sure this was more of a floral mural. The dominant colour was a soft pink with a few touches of lilac here and there, then what she supposed were the leaves of this wonderful bouquet were of a deep forest green.

"I wanted to talk to you all about what I value most, in education and in everyday life." The teacher started, pacing from wall to wall, getting a look at every single one of her students.

"Books." She finally said once the suspense was getting overwhelming. A collective sigh went through the classroom, and a loud huff from Franz. Heidi looked around, she didn't understand their collective hate for books, she would almost kill to have been able to read a rich and magical story all by herself.

"Now, don't be so pessimistic." Gertude said, clapping her hands together. "Books are a wonderful vessel of knowledge, they can teach you science, maths, grammar...and much more, but I assume you've had quite enough of those books."

She smiled as her students nodded vigorously.

"Well, I'm glad  to tell you that books can also hold wonderful stories." She told them all with enthusiasm. "From dragons to tragic love stories, a book can make you travel more than you ever will, and while reading you can find yourself deeply invested in a life that isn't yours."

The children all stared at each other, some knew this of course, but Frau Huber had tainted their view on reading almost irreparably. She had turned it into something close to torturous.

"Literature is much more than what most people think, and I will make it my personal mission to prove it to every single one of you."

She grabbed her ruler and pointed it at a boy by the name of Henrik. He had dark brown straight hair, that was so neatly slicked back that no one would ever dare to get their hands near it.

"Henrik, right?" Gertrude asked, closing her eyes, holding her breath, she didn't want to get it wrong.

He nodded, standing up, gulping his fear down his throat. She waved her hand in the air, shaking her head.

"Sit back down if you like, Henrik." She told him kindly, he slowly did so, his muscles relaxing.

"What could be found inside a book?" She questioned. Henrik sat there for a second in silence, then he slowly turned to the girl on his right, who could only shrug. Suddenly his face lit up.