Chapter 9

*Four Years Later*

Altan's POV:

'Mom, dad, do I have to go??' I pleaded. 

 "Yes, son, you have to go. As future Gamma, it is important that you attend Quinn's ceremony. She and her mate are taking over the pack today." my dad explained, as my mom was tying my tie. 

 'But I'm not good with people! They hate me! I'm deaf, dad! I can't be Gamma!' 

 "You can be Gamma if you just try and stop doubting yourself, son!" 

 "Altan, Cayden, let's not have this discussion right now, alright? Altan, Quinn is taking on a tremendous amount of responsibility. She needs our support. She needs some friends right now. Can you do that for her?" my mom asked me. 

 I looked at her and nodded. Quinn is one of those who was there for me when I needed her. She protected me when I was being bullied. It's time I support her when she needs me most. 

 At that moment, Alpha Alex and Luna Kelly came in the room. They looked worried. 

 "Kelly? Alex? What's wrong?" dad asked. 

 "Have you seen, Quinn? We can't find her anywhere!"

 "No, we haven't. She wasn't anywhere in the pack house?" mom asked. 

 "No! And her ceremony starts in an hour!" her dad exclaimed, pacing back and forth. 

 "Alex, calm down. We're gonna find her. Now sit down before you wear a hole in our carpet." my dad declared, making Alpha Alex sit down. "Now, where is Quinn's mate?" 

 "He's out looking for her. Robin is dreadfully worried. He's beginning to fear the worst!" Luna Kelly said. Alpha Alex closed his eyes, as if he were trying to block out a memory. I suppose he doesn't want to think about that. 

 "Don't worry, we'll find her. Now, Kelly, I suggest you take Alex home. He's getting himself seriously worked up. If he gets worked up enough, you know what'll happen." my dad stated. 

 "Alright, Cayden. Thanks...Let us know if you need help or if you found her." 

 "We will. Now come on. Altan, I want you to stay here. Alright, son?" I nodded and watched as the Luna, Alpha, my dad and mom left. 

 I immediately went to my nightstand beside my bed and pulled out my horn. I went to the window and blew into it three times. Shane gave me the horn and told me to blow hard three times when I needed him. Within five minutes, Shane was here in my room. 

 "What's up, bro?" he asked. I explained to him what was going on. 

 'We need to find her.' I finished. 

 "Oh wow. That is crazy! I doubt something's happened to her. I think she ran away because she's nervous. What do you think?"

 'I'm thinking the same thing, Shane.' We talked for a minute and then, we snuck out of the house to look for Quinn. 

 We knew one place where Quinn could've gone. It was her special secret place. No doubt she showed Robin, but in his panic, he possibly forgot. Shane and I know about it, because Shane may have talked me into playing spies when we were ten and she was our target. She doesn't really show anyone. She only showed Robin because he's her mate. 

 When we finally got to the spot, we saw her, sitting alone on a log. We walked over to her. She jumped and spun around to look at us. 

 "Altan?! Shane?! What are you doing here??! How did you find me??!" she exclaimed. 

 'We found out years ago about this spot. We figured you might be here. Everyone is really worried. Robin is very worried as well. He is starting to wonder if something happened to you.' I told her. 

 "And your dad is about to have a panic attack." Shane remarked. 

 Quinn shook her head and looked down. I have no idea what she said, but I could see what Shane said. 

 "Quinn, we know your scared. Robin probably is too. I mean, he's going to be the Alpha. But you trained for this your whole life. You knew this would happen someday." I think Quinn said something, because Shane paused before he replied, "I know. But, now that the time has come, it's time that you took your place as Luna. You parents are already so proud of you. So make them even prouder, Quinnie." I rolled my eyes as he said the name, Quinnie. She hated that nickname. 

 Quinn looked over at us. "Your right. I should take my place as Luna...But what if I mess up??" 

 Finally I could reply. 'Quinn, like Shane said. You've trained your whole life for this. There's no need to worry. You'll have your mom and dad right there. My parents, and Blake's parents too. Blake and I will be right there beside you too. We all will. Your friends and your family.' 

 Quinn smiled. "Your right, boys...Thank you. Now, let's go find Robin and take care of dad before he does have that panic attack. Oh, and Shane, don't call me Quinnie!" she chuckled. 

 And with that, the three of us went to find Robin. We found him in the park where he and Quinn first met. 

 "Quinn! I was so worried! Did something happen??" he asked quickly, making sure she wasn't hurt or anything. 

 "No Robin. I'm ok. Let's go. Dad and mom must be really worried." she took his hand and we all walked back to the pack house. 

 Well, I walked home and Shane went back to his home. We didn't want to get into trouble. Within a few minutes, mom and dad arrived back home. They told me that Quinn had come back. I smiled to myself. I knew what had happened, but I'm not about to tell mom and dad. Though, I got the feeling mom knew. 

 After dad went into his and mom's room, mom sat me on the bed and smiled. "Let me guess, my sunshine. You went looking for Quinn and got her to come back?" I nodded. She shook her head. "I knew when your father told you to stay here you weren't going to listen. You care too much about your friends to stay home and wait. But don't worry, son. I won't tell your dad. This will be our little secret." she kissed my forehead. "Now, come on. We need to finish getting ready!" I nodded and picked up my brush from the nightstand. While I began brushing my hair, mom went into her room to get ready.

 Suddenly, I felt a jolt of pain running through my body. I wasn't sure what was happening. I fell off of my bed and onto the floor. At that moment, mom and dad came running in. They were saying something too each other, but I don't know what was said. I was in too much pain to pay attention. 

 Dad picked me up and took me outside. He placed me on the ground and stood back. Mom wanted to stay by my side and comfort me, but dad held her back. Before I knew it, all the pain had gone. I opened my eyes and looked up. Mom and dad rushed to me. They knelt down and hugged me. When they let go, I looked down at my feet. My feet had changed to paws and they were furry! I realized then what had happened. I had shifted! I guess I shifted early....Though I'm not sure I've ever heard of some one shifting a week before their birthday. 

 "That's because your special!" I stopped short. I swear I heard something, but that's impossible! I'm deaf! 

 "I know your deaf, but we can communicate. I'm your wolf, Smoke." There it was again! I then realized, I could see, in my head, a small wolf! 

 "M-my wolf??" I said, without realizing it. When I realized what I had just done, I gasped in shock. I could hear and speak to my wolf! "I-I'm dreaming! This has to be a dream!" I exclaimed. 

 "Your not dreaming. Your special. You may not be blood related to your mom, but I guess some of her abilities rubbed off on you. You were able to shift early, and communicate with me! Unfortunately, in wolf form, you still can't hear." Smoke stated. 

 "Well, I'm still so grateful...I finally get to know what it's like to hear and to speak! Even if it's just to my wolf.." I smiled. I could feel a tear coming down my furry face. I shifted back and immediately hugged my parents. 

 'Mom! Dad! I can hear my wolf and talk to him!' I exclaimed in sign language. Mom and dad looked shocked. But after a moment, they burst into tears and hugged me tight. They were so happy for me....And I'm so grateful...