Chapter Nineteen - IT WAS NEVER HATE

Start from the beginning

Something about that made a smile tug at Regulus' lips. Other houses had not always been kind to Slytherins. In fact even siblings had not always been so kind to one another in the house divide. Regulus pushed away the memory of Sirius being excited for his sorting and then ultimately disappointed.

Maxwell and he made his way over to the table that welcomed him though it was clear he was not sure where to sit.

"Oi smaller Evadine come sit with us!" Barty spoke up

Regulus hit him under the table. "What are you doing?" He hissed

"Getting your girlfriends brother to like you." Barty explained.

"That's not Phoibe's brother, they barely look alike." Evan added in disbelief.

"Evadine is not my girlfriend. " Regulus stated hotly. "And shes going to hate me if I have anything to do with her brother."

"Didn't you say she already hated you?" Barty reminded.

"Well yeah but-"

"Then what do you have to lose?" Barty questioned. "Unless that's changed recently..." The brunette boy dug for an answer and Regulus suddenly felt a little tense. "A little bird told me maybe she doesn't hate you."

"What little bird?" Regulus scoffed a little too quickly.

Who had told Barty that?

But his friend just smiled mischievously as Maxwell had almost reached them.

"Cunt." Regulus muttered.

"I'm only sitting here because no other first years have been sorted into slytherin yet. Being near you would be my last choice." Max explained directing his comment towards Regulus who he clearly had a dislike for since when they met officially at the summer quidditch match.

"Oh yeah, he's definitely related to Phoibe." Evan bursted into laughter that he quickly had to hush as the sorting was still going on.

"So Max is it?" Barty changed the subject. "Are you happy to be in Slytherin?"

"Yes my family has been sorted in to Slytherin for generations. Well apart from my sister. " The younger boy greeted Barty with an enthusiasm that made Regulus feel bitter. He wasn't sure why, after all Maxwell was a child and since when did he care about his approval?

"Well then we're glad to have you." Evan grinned. "You're going to love the common room and the dorms."

"I've always wanted to know what they look like! My sister has never been in there before so she couldn't describe it to me but she told me all about the others." Maxwell explained.

And suddenly Regulus was thinking about Phoibe Evadine in the Slytherin common room and the image crystallised in his mind. He thinks she would find the soft current of the black lake's depths filling the silence between conversations peaceful. If she studied in there, he's sure she would be mesmerised by the way the water would be refracted by the windows, casted across her text books and parchment making the ink from them glow almost iridescent. Obviously she would adore the bookshelves, though very few, and he could easily picture her sat on the floor by the fire place with the novels scattered around her.

Maybe one day she would see it.

⭒⭒⭒

Regulus had wanted to sleep he was going to but Pandora's familiar pure white owl had landed perched on the window ledge clutching a note between its talons. Barty and Evan barrelled towards it before Regulus could even read the note.