He closed his eyes. The storm was everywhere, and so the rain was: the forest that surrounded him was so loud for itself that he couldn’t hear some footsteps approaching him.

When he raised his head, it was already too late: Mike Wheeler was there, standing in front of him, and watching his huddled body with a sad expression.

“Will... What happened?”
He closed the distance between them and sat at his side. Will looked at his friend with a slightly shocked face, genuinely surprised to see that even if Mike was soaked from top to toe, he showed intentions of staying at his side no matter the weather.

However, when their eyes met, the unsure and shy Byers looked away.

“Nothing.” answered with a fragile voice. “What are you doing here?”

“I went with Lucas to your house, but you weren’t there, so I thought you would be here hiding. I knew I wasn’t wrong, but Lucas didn’t want to go with me because the storm is getting worse.”

“And Lucas is right. You shouldn’t made all this path alone.”

“And you’re the one saying that?” asked with an ironic voice. “I was worried about your security, moron.”

Mike took off the raincoat he grabbed purposely to search for Will and covered the shoulders of his friend with it. Slightly blushed, the green eyes met again with the sea of freckles, wondering in a loop inside his head about the nature of those actions clearly fit for a love movie.

“I haven’t gone faster because I was convinced that you would be inside the Castle Byers.” Mike took another look to the destroyed place. “But it seems that I was wrong...”

“...”

“Will... What happened? I guess this mess is all my fault, isn’t it?”

“...Not at all.” he looked down. “Maybe a part of it is. But the other half is my responsability and I can’t blame you for that.”

He wasn’t feeling really comfortable, and not just because of the rain: he was unable to look at his friend’s face without guilt taking over his mind.

“I’m sorry. I’m such a child: I’ve made a tantrum and you had to come to the woods running to find me.”

“One of the times you were alone a demogorgon attacked you.”

“You’re right, but that’s not going to happen again...” his voice broke when Mike’s fingers covered up his pale hand with a gentle touching filled with kindness. Will couldn’t return the gesture, but it wasn’t necessary: the warm wet skin of Wheeler was enough to speed up his heartbeat.

Instead of that, he wanted to say his name, but nothing came out of his mouth.

“I’m the one who owes an apologize to you. I’ve been an asshole with you all this time: since I and Lucas started dating El and Max and Dustin went to the science campsite, you’ve been left aside, almost... Alone. And that’s not right. We all were suposed to be a gang, but I feel like this summer everyone took a different direction from the others.”

“And you realize it now?” he couldn’t help but answer with a bit of irritation. That thing Mike was saying was something that Will himself noticed a couple of months ago.

“Yeah, I know, I’m a freaking dumbass. And I’m so sorry about that.” his fingers got closer to Will’s, provoking a goosebump to the last one. Byers looked confused at Mike’s face, but he was avoiding visual contact while he made more intimate the hand-holding. “I never wanted to hurt you.”
Will shrugged.

“You already did, so whathever.”

“Are you still mad?”

Will answered the confused look of his friend with an annoyed gaze.