Chapter Three

Okay... what next? Iris wondered. I suppose it's time to go grab that map...

"Miss Petunia?" she called to the elderly fox who was watering her roses. Iris sighed inwardly. She didn't especially want to talk to her rather loquacious neighbor, but Petunia was the only other fox with a key to the lockbox in which they kept the maps, besides the vine Den members of the Den Council. She was handpicked to safeguard it, but not exactly picked very well. A few nice words and a little bit of time with her, and she'd let you borrow it for a week, even if you were a stranger. Still, everyone loved her.

"Oh, hi, Sugarplum! Why'd you come here? You want to talk with me? I would think that one visit from me is enough!" chuckled Petunia.

"Oh, er..." mumbled Iris, "Yeah... I- I was wondering if you were going to go to the main park this afternoon?"

"Oh, yes! The weather is so very lovely, don't you think? Are you planning to go yourself? You should, it's so nice out! Anyways, come in, come in!" invited Petunia, stepping back into her den. Iris nervously followed her down the dark tunnel (which was identical to all of the other ones, except that Petunia kept paintings in the hallways).

"Have you eaten yet?" asked Petunia, smiling sweetly as she came out of her food room with two small birds.

"Uh...no. I haven't..." answered Iris, staring down at her bird and fidgeting with it.

Petunia smiled at her. "It isn't poisoned, Sugarplum. Go ahead." She straightened a painting. "Sorry, I wasn't expecting guests."

Iris nodded, smiling tentatively "So, uh... I was wondering if I could... ah..."

Petunia looked at her. "Do you need to borrow the map?" asked Petunia, all chattiness falling away.

"Um... yes," replied Iris, nervous about what would happen next. Would she be the first fox to ever be sent away by Petunia?

Then, suddenly, Petunia smiled again. "Of course you can borrow it, Sugarplum. Just make sure you return it!"

Iris inwardly sighed in relief. She had got the map! Still, there was something in Petunia's eyes that made her confused... Was it worry? Fear? Ah, well. Stop thinking about things like this that you can't control. You've got the map! Now I suppose I'll just have to copy it down so that I'll be able to return this to Petunia...

One new map later and Iris was ready. At least, the things she would be bringing were ready. But she herself... She might never be ready, but she'd have to go anyway.

She looked up to check the sky and was shocked to see the sun fading away. Iris knew that she'd have to leave, but she didn't think that it would come so soon. At least I'll see Cobra Lily soon. She'd have to leave part of her family to get to the other part. Iris could wish and hope all she wanted, but she knew that it was unlikely that her family would ever come together and be happy again. The only currently possible way was that everyone went to join the rebellion, then they could go save Basil, but that was extremely improbable, and they might not really be happy.

Enough pondering. It's time to leave.

Iris picked herself up, looking out towards where the old gate was. She knew that she couldn't go through there, it was locked and secured, and she knew that many kitsunes were prowling around the borders, including...Rose.

I could always go through the ocean... she pondered, eyeing the shore. It isn't too far away...

Going through water was probably her best shot. She could make a raft, steal a raft, or just grab a log and float to the rebellion. She didn't want to steal (her conscience couldn't take it), she didn't have enough time to make a raft; the Den Council might catch her if she stayed an extra day to complete it, so that left... a very unpleasant choice.

Surely I don't have to float the whole way on a log - the currents might carry me away! Wait.... I could use the mist to help me escape! The other kitsunes might be able to see me, but it's worth the risk. I won't have to travel through the Territory of the Banished as much.

She had a plan. It was time to carry it out.

After pasting a fake smile on her face and returning the original map to Petunia (she considered herself very brave for enduring that much conversation), she raced to the Hill Where Flowers Sprout and scanned the area to get a sense of her bearings. She eyed the sun that was setting in the west. That was where she'd have to go.