Chapter Two

Iris was awake, watching the sun send streaks of pinks, purples, and oranges across the sky as it slowly climbed through the lovely colors. She had a wistful look on her face as she thought, I wonder if Basil can even see the sky from where he is...

She stared at her special rock on which she was carefully perched. She always hated doing this, but it was her Monday ritual. She counted the dark spots on her rock as she thought back to what had happened when the Great Division had started...

She then started to tell a story to herself, except this story was different. This story was true.

The words of her history book (the only book she had in the Vine Den) flashed through her head, "Once, the foxes and wolves were in peaceful harmony. The leaders of each species were great friends, and all was well.

"However, there was unrest throughout the wolves. Rumors and mutterings floated around, about a wolf called Sabre, about the uprisings in the northwest of the wolf territory. They said he was building an army and that he would soon lead it to the downfall of the Lupin Council. Yet no one realized that Sabre wasn't only in the northwest.

"He had minions throughout the wolven territory, and one special wolf got their claws into the Lupin Council's heads, turning them into Sabre's puppets, poisoning their minds. He claimed that foxes were unworthy and that they should begin a new age, with a new reign.

"Still, everyone was oblivious to that, especially the foxes. No one questioned it when the wolves invited them to the wolven side of Lupinox for their 50th anniversary of peace. Of course, the foxes went.

"Still, the foxes became confused, suspicious when only a quarter of the Lupin Council showed up. Yet no one noticed the foxes that were being snatched away. No one noticed the dark shadow in the back of a wolf called Sabre.

"Though the foxes were wary, they went on with the ceremony, not wanting to disturb the peace they had worked so hard to keep. They never suspected what was actually happening, not until the Lupin Council turned on them.

"In seconds, half of the Den Council was dead, and others severely injured. Chaos broke out, foxes stampeding away. The wolves snatched at the foxes, cackling as they trapped them.

"The foxes knew that even though wolves didn't have kitsunes, they had a large advantage of strength and size. So, they made a run for it. A few noble foxes stayed behind to let the others get away, and to this day they are still called the Noble Ones."

Iris felt a tear drip down her snout. The Great Division had happened two years ago, and yet she still had nightmares of it every night. She had been there, excited, not suspicious at all. She hadn't noticed how many foxes were missing. She didn't see it when her brother was dragged away. She hadn't realized that a single thing was wrong until the stampede started. She raised her snout, wet with tears, towards the rising sun. Iris closed her eyes and went on with her story...

"The foxes ran, ran, and ran. The wolves surely would've caught up to them, but they stayed behind, occupied with the prisoner foxes left behind. The foxes came to a stop at Lake Together, gaping at a pile of burning bodies. They were wolves, presumably the wolves that disagreed with Sabre and faced the consequences. The foxes continued their journey, choosing to not go through the Almost Uncrossable Mountains, as they had brought boats. They rowed across Lake Together, and they reached the cliff. As soon as they landed, the foxes went to the sides which connected them to the wolf territory and started digging in the earth to prevent the wolves from coming after them.

"Fueled by fear, the foxes managed to dig a sizable gap within a week, and continued back to their Dens. Since then, the foxes have improved the Breaks of the Great Division (also known as the Rapids of No Looking Back). Now, to be safe, foxes are kept in their Dens. Do not try to leave the den you are in (Vine, Fog, Viper, and Shadow), or else you will face the consequences."