Chapter One - Mission

Uploaded: August 10th, 2022
Words: 2,705
Trigger Warnings: Missing Persons Case

The elevator descended through multiple levels, down, down, down, until it came to a stop at the very bottom level, which was several stories below ground. The only working light flickered, leaving the entire floor in momentary darkness. This certainly wasn't a suspicious place to meet up at all.

You took a peek around at the seemingly empty floor, hesitating before stepping out from the 'safety' of the elevator. You couldn't help but ponder why Doctor Stephenson asked you to meet him here...either for something top secret, or the detective had plans to murder you. You let out a scoff at your own train of dark thoughts and left the elevator completely.

Your footsteps reverberated against the walls of the nearly empty room. You approached the flickering light, squinting as a figure stepped out from the darkness, and into the light. When the yellowish glow fell on the figure's face, you let out a sigh you didn't know you had been holding in. "Doctor Stephenson." You called out in greeting, as you sped up your steps ever so slightly.

"Y/N L/N!" He called out in reply, a grin spreading across his face as you stepped into the light with him. "Long time, no see." He commented, as he leaned against the wooden desk (which was the only furniture on the entire floor.)

You nodded in agreement. "True, and if this is how you insist on meeting every time, then I think I would actually prefer a longer amount of time in between visits." You looked around wearily. "What's up with the location, Doctor Stephenson?" You asked, as you stuffed your hands into the pocket of your jacket.

He merely hummed in amusement at your cautiousness. "Well, first of all, Y/N, you know full well to call me Augustus. Second of all, I find that I don't trust the upper floors. They're riddled with cameras and other people. Do you want somebody like Rebecca Samson getting involved in this case?"

"No, Augustus, I don't. Nonetheless, wasn't there somewhere better than a cold, flooded basement?" You moved your foot slightly to tap it in a puddle of water next to your feet as if to prove your point. "Maybe somewhere like the park? It's a nice day out, no need to be here..."

Augustus huffed, as he lifted his coat ever so slightly, to pull out a thin file. "Well, I think you'll find that the information, and the mission I'm about to bestow upon you, require the utmost secrecy." He claimed, as he passed the tan file over to you.

Raising a brow, you pushed your thumb inside to flip it open. It was nearly empty. All that was inside was a few pictures of what seemed a very nice family. An older man, most likely a single father, in a police uniform. Then his four kids (you assumed.) Three sons (a ginger, a dirty blond with glasses, and the youngest of them all: blond.) Then, a daughter, a brunette. Your eyes scanned over the names of the family: Chief Charlie Burns, along with Kade Burns, Graham Burns, Cody Burns, and Danielle Burns, respectively. Then in the file were pictures of four rescue vehicles, along with a few scattered notes here and there.

"What's this, Doct- Augustus?"

"That, my friend, is the hardest missing persons case the Federal Bureau of Investigations has had in years. They were about to close the case, and pronounce all five of those people dead." He quickly explained, moving his hands in the air as he spoke. For some reason, the case seemed very personal to him.

"After only a few weeks of the Burns family missing, the FBI was going to give up..." He seemed to swallow as he clasped his hands together. "I convinced them to let me handle it...but I'm afraid I'm too old and not quite witty enough to figure this one out..." He gave you the look.