Chapter Ten: Sofia

(*LONG CHAPTER)

I was staring at the board, but my mind was on last night's conversation with my father. He asked again if I had run into any of the town's Royals on campus. I stayed quiet, but he had reminded me that it was imperative that I stay away from them. A Galvez had no business talking to any conniving member of the Elite Eight. He was upset because my younger brother Charlie had foolishly expressed his admiration for some Royals who attended his school. That was the worse thing we could say in front of my father. He launched into a long lecture about what he expected of us.

Now, sitting in my Texan Culture and Society in Literature class writing down the last of the professor's guidelines for the project that was due in three weeks, I had a sensation of being observed. I lowered my chin and turned my head just a bit. Just outside of my periphery, I saw a guy a row behind me and several seats to the right. He was focused on me. I assessed my situation: I touched my nose and chin—nothing was hanging conspicuously from either surface; I touched my right shoulder—no straps were showing. I wondered why he was staring. The professor dismissed the class, and I gathered my books to make a quick exit.

I made it into the hallway, but was held up when two people stopped right in front of me to talk. I felt a soft tap on my shoulder.

"Hi. How are you?"

I glanced up at a dark-haired guy—the one who had been staring at me— and was immediately struck by his captivating eyes. He was handsome, and the smile on his face indicated that he knew it. I instinctively knew that this could only lead to trouble. "Fine," I replied curtly and began walking. I exited the building only to hear him call.

"Hey, wait up!" He trotted beside me.

I stopped abruptly and turned to face him. "Yes? May I help you?"

"You just might," he said with a wide grin. "Would you like to—?"

"No, thank you," I interrupted and began walking again.

"You didn't let me finish." He walked beside me. "Seriously, hold up."

I stopped and sighed. I was in no mood to have some stranger flirt with me. It seemed this young man could not take hints indicating when a young lady was not interested. "Yes?"

He smiled again. "I wondered if you have some time right now."

I held up a hand. "I actually don't have time. I'm not sure what you are going to ask, but if it's what I think it is, the answer is no, I don't have time. I'll never have time. I'm sorry, but that's the way it has to be." I hurried away, but this time he didn't follow me, to my relief.

I reached my car in the parking lot, opened the door, tossed my book bag onto the passenger seat and climbed in. The one o'clock heat was brutal, and the episode with that guy made it feel worse. I rolled down the window, anticipating the air conditioning. I put the key in the ignition, turned, then...nothing. My brow furrowed in consternation, and I turned the key again. My car was old, but it shouldn't be doing this. The engine gave a low gasp then...nothing. I tried one last time. Nothing. The car was dead, and I had only two hours to get ready for work. I banged on the steering wheel in frustration.

"Well, long time no see."

I squinted up at the person standing next to my car. It was that good-looking guy from class. I felt panic for an instant thinking that he was following me. I glanced around noting that there were many other people in the parking lot.

"Car trouble?"

I disliked the way he was standing there, one hand holding a backpack over one shoulder, the other hand at his waist casually. I disliked the half-smile he was giving me and the over-solicitous tone of his voice. His arrogance made me feel inexplicably annoyed rather than scared. Then I calmed down. "Uh, maybe."