𝟎𝟗.

-𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞-

-ᴀᴄᴛ 1-

Lightning ripples silently through the clouds above a traffic-filled road

Lightning ripples silently through the clouds above a traffic-filled road. Leaning over the steering wheel, the bus driver peers up at the darkening skies ahead.

Coach looks over her shoulder, whistle hanging from his lips. He breathes a low grumble of displeasure at the storm. Until something catches his eye in the rearview mirror.

A blast of the whistle startles a teenager standing to talk to a girl in the seat behind him.

"Back to your seat"

The teen drops back, revealing a bus filled with the Cross Country team. Some study, some text, others sleep. In one seat, Isaac and Boyd exchange tense whispers.

"Stop thinking about it, man," Isaac tells Boyd.

"Like you're not thinking about it too?"

"Yeah, well, we both stop thinking about it."

"I can't."

"Well, you can't do anything about it either."

"You sure about that?"

He nods to a row behind them where Ethan sits, checking his phone for a message. Beside him, Danny watches Ethan push the phone back into his pocket with a frustrated breath.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"You checked your phone three times in the last five minutes"

"Waiting for a message."

"Anything important?"

"No. Nothing." His tone belies his words, however. Turning, he gazes surreptitiously down the aisle to Maya, Scott, and Stiles sitting in the back seats.

While Stiles taps a finger over his tablet, Maya kept staring forward, at Isaac. And Scott leans his head against the window, heavy eyelids beginning to close.

𝐚𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥: 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

Shifted into werewolf form, Scott turns, letting loose a defiant snarl as a sudden voice echoes, "Yo, Scotty. Hey, yo, Scotty? Still with me?"

Blinking back to the present, Scott turns to Stiles.

"Yeah, sorry. Uh, what was the word?"

Stiles looks down at a vocabulary app on his tablet. "Anachronism."

"Something that exists out of its normal time."

"Nice. Okay. Next word: Incongruous."

"Um... can you use it in a sentence?"