Chapter 45 || Prison Break

Start from the beginning

"Natasha. What's going on?"

I meet his gaze and instantly feel like I can trust him. That's always been something I've liked about Steve. Unlike everyone else on the team, Clint and Jayce excluded, Steve has always been someone I could count on. I always knew he actually wanted to listen when I talked.

Him and Clint made me feel like family quickly. Tony too but he's more like the annoying brother that I want to beat up half the time.

Steve's cool gaze is enough to tear my walls down. Being on the run, fighting and finally taking down Dreykov and the Red Room, I haven't seen anyone else from the Avengers besides Jayce since Germany.

Seeing Steve is definitely a sense of comfort, a warming feeling of nostalgia of the good times at the compound.

I breathe in, "Long story short? I found Yelena and my so called adoptive parents. We took down the Red Room together. Jayce helped but they got her. They altered her mind, they were working with HYDRA, and now all she wants to do is kill me and anyone who gets in her path. We tried different combinations of serums and cures but none have worked so I figured the only cure to mental manipulation that strong would be..."

"Maximoff," He finishes and nods, placing a hand on my shoulder with a supportive squeeze.

"I'm sorry. We'll get Parker back to normal. You have my word."

"We?" I whisper and he chuckles, "Don't got anything better to do. Nice to see a familiar face. But first we gotta get the rest of the kids," He points out to the water and I smile, "Sounds like a plan."

Together, we all get in once it's fully in the water and Steve starts up the engine while driving us through the waters, cutting through white caps and trying to keep on track navigating through the nighttime waters of the ocean.

"So you're Natasha's sister?" Steve speaks up after about an hour of silence.

Yelena hums in agreement while she pulls an energy bar out of one of her vest pockets, making me glare at her.

"Fine," She sighs and breaks off two pieces for Steve and I, then she turns to him, "Little sister Yelena, that would be me. When we were little we were on mission in Ohio to play as family unit. I was too small at the time to know it was fake but for 3 years yes. Then the Red Room came for us."

Steve's gaze falls as he nods, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. And it wasn't fake," I assure Yelena and sigh, "When I got out and Barton walked me through joining SHIELD, I thought I killed Dreykov and his daughter. Wasn't the full story, though. Apparently he escaped in time and the Red Room was still going on right under my nose. I thought Yelena was living her life but she was still being trained and sent out as one of their best assassins. It was certainly a difficult realization."

He chuckles in agreement and whistles, "Well, I am glad you two found your way back to each other. Family is important." Steve's voice falls a bit at the end and he glances down at the water, a clear weight settling on his shoulders.

My body nearly slumps as I feel worry building.

"Have you talked to Tony?"

Steve shakes his head and I swallow, "What happened when he met you and Bucky?"

That's when he explains it all. That Bucky killed Tony's parents and Steve knew. But Bucky wasn't himself at the time. He was the Winter Soldier. And I'm not even surprised, not in the slightest.

HYDRA took out a bunch of SHIELD members and founders, especially the ones that were threats. Even the Red Room had me take out a few back in the day. That's what got me into so much trouble until Clint decided to make a different call on his mission to kill me.