Prologue

(Lub-Dub.. Lub-Dub.. Lub-Dub..)

My heart thumped louder and louder with every single passing second. At the glance, I am seated on the floral decorated bed but metaphorically it isn't less than a bed of thorns or fire.

I just married a stranger few hours back who I met only once before today and that happened to be yesterday when we exchanged our engagement ring. Well, you can count it as two if you consider a video call as a meeting.

It all began with my far relative, who I was asked to address as aunty, got a proposal of a Non-resident Indian (NRI) dwelling in some unknown and unexplored part of the world by me.

As a common notion, all NRI's are well earning and well settled for us Indians and with no further questions asked my parents quickly jumped into a video call on the next auspicious occasion along with me. As a result of which I have now landed up on this floral bed in a hotel room waiting for that upgraded version of stranger, now called husband after the upgrade, to arrive and decide my fate tonight.

As I contemplated, what I have in store tonight, the door knob clinked and opened. And there a man who is 6' tall, lean and having dusky complexion appeared before me. The man with whom I am supposed to spend my whole life with.

**Don't look into his eyes, don't smile, he might take it as a signal to jump on you..**, I remembered my friend advising me when I shared my fear and anxiety of the nuptial night.

I looked down not feeling shy but with nervousness.

"Hi", he said.

"H.. h.. hi", I stuttered still looking down.

"Are you comfortable?", He asked.

What does that mean? Comfortable to spend a night with him? Or the rest of the nights with him? No!!!! I don't even know you.. Rrrrr.. I wish I could say that but there is a reason I am named Sahana, which means patience in my mother tongue, by my parents. I am being told to be humble towards elders, teachers and most importantly, husband. I have to be patient, no matter what they say. Take each of their word as if it was a bible.

"Yes", I nodded against my will.

"What time do you usually sleep?" He asked sitting beside me on the bed.

I gulped at the distance he covered so quickly. There was just few inches gap between us now. I wondered what time it was. Can I just go to sleep peacefully, please?

"Aaa.. it.. it depends when I feel.. like sleepy.", I uttered still not meeting his eyes.

"Oh!! I hope you ain't feeling sleepy yet because I haven't got over my jet lag yet so sleep is nowhere around me.", He said.

Should I say I am feeling very sleepy and just go to sleep or should I be a little considerate towards his request?

"No.. I am.. n.. not sleepy yet..", My mouth uttered shutting off it's connection from my brain.

"Wow!! That's great!! But hey!! Why are you fumbling so much? I am not some stranger. I am your husband..", he spoke the last sentence in a husky voice placing his hands over mine.

I trembled within on that touch. Just because you married me, I can't call you my husband. You are still a stranger because I hardly know anything about you.

I nodded my head in approval.

"So Sahana, what do you do when you ain't sleepy?", He asked pressing my hand a little firmer.

I am sorry, did he ask something? I lost my hearing power because all my attention is on my hand which is under his hand at present. Can I have my hand back Mister?

I just nodded my head from left to right not knowing what to answer. Oh God!! Please make him feel very very sleepy, I prayed.

"Were you in a relationship earlier?", He asked entwining his fingers with mine.

"Huh?", I looked at him totally puzzled.

"I mean did you had any boyfriend earlier?", He asked.

I do understand english but why is he asking me that question?

I nodded in disagreement. He smiled as if he would have thrown me under a running train if I had to say Yes.

"Wonderful!! So.. it's going to be your first time..", he said holding my hand in both of his hands and playing with it. My heart thudded against my ribcage. What is he talking about? Does it really mean what I am thinking at the moment? Hell no please.. Did I give him any signal unknowingly?

"Sahana.. you are beautiful", he said cupping my face with both his hands and looking at me. I kept my eyes low not to encourage him but my heart thumped louder and louder.

The next moment, his lips were on my lips. He started to suck my lower lips while I still took time to register what on earth he was doing. I clenched my eyes tightly feeling awkward. His tongue was trying to make it's way into my mouth but the 32 tiny guards were stopping him from doing so. He pinched my belly making me gasp which gave him access into my mouth successfully.

I had been brought up in such a way that I never ate food from anyone's plate once it was spat but today a stranger was exploring the insides of my mouth and mixing his saliva with mine. Even though I tried reminding myself that he was my husband, I felt GROSS!!!

He left his torture and went back. My eyes were still clench shut but I couldn't feel my whole mouth anymore as if he took it with him.

"Sahana.. this was the worst kiss I ever shared with anyone..", he blurted. I opened my eyes and looked at him in shock. How many did he kiss before me? If this wasn't his first, why would he feel elated to know that this was my first few minutes back.

"Sahana.. kiss me back!", He commanded before smashing his lips against mine once again. I was hurt somewhere knowing that it wasn't his first kiss. But why? As I pondered about the answer to my questions, he nibbled my lips hard making me shriek.

"Kiss!!", He ordered right inside my mouth. I lost my calm hence I bit his lips hard causing him shriek and leave my lips. He glared at me for harming him and I stared right back at him with same intense. I was shuddered as he wiped his bleeding lips and I repented my action instantly.

"I am s.. sorry..", I said with no futher delay. He got down from the bed and went towards his fridge silently ignoring my apology. He pulled out an ice tray.

"Please, let me do it.", I took leaps to reach him quickly and tried pulling the ice tray to help him but he jerked off and went towards the wardrobe leaving me to repent near the fridge.

After applying the ice over the bleeding area, he took his nightwear from the wardrobe and went to the washroom. I nervously cracked all my knuckles while strolling to and fro outside for him to return.

**Sahana, marriage is a lifetime commitment. Making or breaking a marriage is in the hands of a wife. Be a good, loyal wife and never ever even think of hurting your husband. People look down at the entire family of those girls, who can't keep their marriage. Don't bring shame upon us and our upbringing. So be patient and never take decision in haste.**

My mom's word echoed in my head which she said to me immediately after the marriage.

He opened the door and went straight to bed and lied with his back towards me. I fidgeted with my fingers and sat behind him on the bed.

"I am very sorry. I will never do such thing again. Please forgive me.", I mumbled feeling ashamed of my behaviour. I kept looking at him, but there was no reply from him.

Walking towards my trolley suitcase, I unzipped it and pulled out a pair of comfortable clothes and went to change inside the bathroom.

"I am sorry", I muttered yet again just before curling up on the vacant side of the bed. Sleep took over slowly upon me.

__________________

To be continued..