Chapter 24: Moon And Stars

Start from the beginning

"No! I just live here, working, not thinking a damn thing about you. I don't know who Lilac is, and I don't care. You're lucky your father is away on a trip, or else he'd use the shotgun on you," she nearly yelled at him. 

Ezra sighed and crossed his arms, "Dad always had that temper, huh? Well, good thing there's no reason to worry about that anymore."

Confusion covered his mom's face, "What do you mean?"

"Oh, my apologies for not having you informed. He's dead after trying to kill Lilac," Ezra said casually, and by the look on his mom's face, it was obvious she wasn't in on it. She looked shocked, upset, but above all, she looked at him with nothing but hatred.

Her mouth shut and her lips formed a thin line. For a moment, she just stared up at Ezra, not saying a word.

"Leave," she finally forced herself to say.

"Gladly."

Ezra grabbed my hand as he turned around, having me walk out first. As we reached the doorway, his mom speaking again made us stop, "Ezra."

We stared at her as the air from the outside hit us. 

"Don't come here again. You are not my family, you are not my son, you are nothing," her words felt like venom, her voice harsh. She wasn't even speaking to me, and I felt my stomach drop. 

Ezra just stood there for a moment, his back turned to me.

"How proud you've made Ignacio," Ezra replied dryly.

He turned after, shutting the door behind us. 

The humid air felt gross until we entered his car. Without even giving the house a second glance, he pulled out of the driveway and left. But this time, he didn't go down the road slowly. 

"Are you okay?" I ask him after giving him a few moments of silence.

He reaches across the seat for my hand, holding it tightly in his, "As long as I have you, life can't get any better."

With the sun beginning to set, I leaned on Ezra's arm as he drove. Yawns came out of my mouth since the sky would be dark soon, and it felt hard to keep my eyes open.

"Do you want to stop at a motel for the night?" Ezra asked me gently, seeing me nearly asleep. 

The orange sun shined brightly, and the thought of being in a car for another four hours felt tiring. I nodded against his head, and he took the next exit.

If it's not his mom, then who?

We passed a few motels before Ezra finally pulled into one. He was very adamant about wanting a clean and good one, and the red one in front of us seemed to be up to his standard.

"Room for two," he said to the girl behind the desk. "One bed, king-sized."

I nudge him, "Manners."

He rolls his eyes, "Please."

"Without the eye roll."

He lets out a sigh. He forces a smile, "Please."

The motel was well kept. It smelt clean, and everything looked it, too. After Ezra swiped his card before even hearing the price, we walked to our door with our key.

"I hope there are no cameras in here," I whisper to him as we enter.

"Don't worry, if there are, I'll spot them in a second," he said while closing the door.

The room had a bedroom, living room, and bathroom. The floor was black tiles with white walls and sitting on the bed, I sank into it nicely. I smiled at him, "This place is nice."