5: Enlightened, Wrecked

'Why...?'

Why did Zhan's heart fluttered like crazy at the thought of loving Yibo?

A sinking feeling, so ginormous and heavy, settled on his chest. A new aching, an imperishable fire, a longing which burned his soul inside and out.

'Do I love him?'

'Is it real?'

Zhan pried deep within, still stunned by Yang Zi's allegations. The more he probed himself, the answer became clearer.

At night, there will only be Yibo who occupied his dreams. In wakefulness, there will only be Yibo he'd think of.

In happiness, he'd like to run to and share it first with his Didi. In sorrow and loneliness, all he'd ask was to be by Yibo's side and he'll then be alright.

Each morning, he'd want to wake up and see Yibo first thing. Greet him first and cuddle stolen minutes before starting another wonderful day. Each night, he'd want to see his sleepy Didi besides him, wish him 'Sweet Dreams' before he drifts to sleep.

Zhan wanted to sleep together like when they were young. Shares stories at bedtime while snuggled together and sharing warmth under one blanket.

If Zhan had been trully honest with himself since long ago, if one had dared ask who he cannot live without or who he loves the most in that mundane world, the answer was crystalline all along: Lan Yibo. He will say his name without batting an eyelid. Maybe he would've realised sooner and their fate won't end up like this? One bounded by a vow and a loveless marriage, one bed-ridden and remained unawake.

Zhan's lashes trembled, his pupils swell, and his eyes turned moist.

His complexion gradually flushed from pale to crimson. 'I love Yibo!' Zhan's eyes held the rim of pooling wet salts as he stared at the unmoving body on his side. "Yibo...my Didi" He choked out.

His movement was instictive as he took Yibo's hand in his and lean his face against the cold palm. An affectionate smile formed at the elder's lips as he let go of the breath he was unknowingly holding. "I love you, Bo-di." Finally, the truth was declared without anymore reservation and denial.

Zhan was enlightened while Yang Zi was emotionally wrecked. Her heart broken permanently like scattered fragmented glasses by the man who had vowed to love her for eternity.

She wasn't needed. She wasn't loved anymore. She couldn't help but foster the resentment that viciously bloomed and devoured her once good heart.

Yang Zi turned away and walked out breathing anger with every step. Rage gripped her hurt at the spur of the moment. But deep within, and a moment shortly after, she was none but a woman whose heart was broken and all she could do was helplessly cry.

--------

A/N:

I am currently reading The Dumb Husky and His White Cat Shizun, it is such a long novel it takes most of my time, that's why expect slow updates for now until I finish reading it 😅

I have started reading the Scum Villain Saving System and Heaven Officials' Blessing before but did not finish 'coz I got bored.
And I have read Mo Dao Zu Shi three times before!

But currently I felt that the plot of Husky and White Cat Shizun is the best among the four. But it is just sooooooo long 🥺

What do you think of that novel? Have you tried it too?

--------
31-Jul-'22