33. Another Year Older

Libby opened the door to the motorhome and walked inside, ready to start her day.

"Surprise! Happy Birthday!" She nearly jumped out of her skin as numerous party poppers exploded and everyone burst into song. Laughing, she took the bunch of helium balloons that Lance held out to her. The song finished and she thanked everyone.

As everyone dispersed she headed to a free table and sat down, pulling a handful of paper streamers from her hair.  She tied her balloons to her backpack and took her phone out.  There was a very important text she had to send. 

Libby: HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE SIS!! Make sure you have a few drinks for me, I can't get smashed tonight as got an early start in the morning.   Have a great day.  Love you millions x❤️x❤️

She smiled as she hit send.   She knew Emmie would be getting totally shitfaced that night. 

It didn't take long for her phone to beep with a reply. 

Emmie: Less of the little! It's only 13 poxy minutes! Happy birthday Libby!!! Oh, I'll be having plenty of drinks. I'm going to be so hungover tomorrow. If you can't get smashed in the drinking way, make sure you get Donkey Dick to smash you in the bedroom!! Love you to the moon and back big sis 😘 🥰❤️

Libby nearly choked on her own saliva at Emmie's reference to Seb. There wasn't much chance of that! Things had been pretty awkward between them since he'd told her he would be leaving the team.

Obviously she'd been shocked, but when she'd asked why he'd clammed up, mumbling something about how he couldn't say just yet.

She'd told him it was ok, that nothing had to change but he'd acted all weird and secretive.

As soon as they'd gone to bed that night he'd turned over and gone straight to sleep. He hadn't even kissed her goodnight. Then the day after they'd driven to Belgium.

She hadn't spent any time alone with him since he'd dropped her at the train station in Verviers, the city where the team hotel was, on the Wednesday evening. They hadn't wanted to be seen arriving together so he'd dropped her there to get a taxi to the hotel.

Since then she'd only spoken to him in passing at work. He was definitely being off. Speak of the devil, she thought as the door opened, and Seb walked in with Antti.

He immediately looked at her, said something to Antti, and then made his way over. He sat down on the chair opposite her.

"Happy birthday Libby," he said, grinning at her. "21 again?" She laughed.

"I wish. No, 32. Nearly as old as you, old man."

"Cheeky!" The smile disappeared from his face and he looked down at the table. "Look Libs, I know I've been distant. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be. There's just a lot on my mind. I don't mean to take it out on you."

She reached out and put her hand on top of his briefly before remembering where they were. She pulled her hand back. "Seb, I'm here for you ok. If you ever feel like you need someone to talk to...."

"I know," he said.  "Anyway, enough about me.  Today is your day! Have you got any plans for tonight? Celebration drinks?"

"Nah, we're leaving at 7.30 for the Netherlands so I'll be having an early night."

"Maybe I could pop round?" he said suggestively.  Libby sighed.   Sure, they might be friends with benefits, but he'd totally avoided her for days now.  She wasn't that easy. 

Seb seemed to pick up on her mood.   He felt like a right prick.  He knew that he'd been off but he'd been trying to keep his distance.  He needed to stop being so reliant on her.  Once the season was over, the chances were they would be too.  He had to get used to being without her.   Or at the very least, not being with her so much.