Present

Four months later:

"I'm turning six today," Issy, my neighbor's daughter tells me while holding four fingers up to show me. Her blonde hair is up in pigtails, she's wearing a pink dress with a unicorn in the front, and she's missing a couple teeth.

A little younger than me, but my second best friend. She's fun to play with when her mom lets me babysit while she's working or partying with friends.

She's a lot smarter than many at her age, always reminding me that guys mean nothing next to lollipops and ice cream.

And a little secret I'm not supposed to tell anyone: I'm also her best friend.

I pick her in my arms, spinning us both around in the lobby of my apartment building. "Happy birthday, princess." I kiss her cheek, making her giggle before putting her back down.

I squat down in front of her to get to her level, and pull something out of my bag. "This is for you," I say, holding the pink toy car in front of her. "Don't let boys touch it, or they might break it."

Last week, she let me into another secret. She likes cars. When she's big and grown-up, she wants to get a pretty pink car.

She takes the toy and watches it with wide eyes, a big smile stretching her lips from ear to ear. "This is exactly what I want when I grow up."

Her eyes flash to mine, but then she gazes at something over my shoulder. She hides the toy behind her back and taps my knee. "Emmy, why is that man staring at you?" she asks and points behind me. "He looks scary."

Over my shoulder, I peek at the man to see who it is. I blink. I blink again. No way.

I turn back to Issy and stand up. "Go to your mom, I'll come by later to eat cake, steal a lollipop from your collection, and watch a movie."

She looks at Jaxon again before turning and running for the stairs. "Mommy, mommy! Help me hide the lollipops! Emmy is coming to steal them!" Then she disappears from my sight, holding the car above her head to make sure it won't drop to the floor.

"She's cute," Jaxon says behind me, sounding to be standing closer than a moment ago.

I meet his eyes, and my heartbeat picks up immediately. "What are you doing here?"

His shoulders drop, relaxing, as if relieved that I'm actually here and talking to him. "You were supposed to come by the restaurant," he says. "It's been months."

Is that really why he hunted me down and came here today?

My brows furrow with confusion. "I did. Four and a half months ago." And you kept your promise. The lasagnette was even better.

He seems startled, like he's surprised I was there. "Then why didn't you ask for me? I would've made sure you got the best table in the place, and given you some free dessert or something."

That's why he wanted me to come by so bad. To see me again and to talk to me again. I thought he just wanted me to see the place and taste the food to see if it would beat the ones he made for me all those years ago

My heart fills with joy and happiness. He wanted to see me again. He doesn't hate me for leaving. Twice.

But the ring, my mind reminds me. The ring that I saw on Jaxon's dresser the day I left months ago, sitting in a small box. He's about to propose to someone.

Whoever she is, she's very damn lucky.

"I didn't want to disturb you while you were working," I tell him. My throat feels like I've swallowed a dozen nails. He has someone else.