3, Fascinating Love

I showed Mya around the pack for a few hours. Introducing her to everyone. Sadly we didn't have any other family here since mom was an only child and grams passed away when I was a teen.

It was really awkward. Some people were very kind but most were very openly weary of my presence.

I truly can't blame them for the hostility. I drove a knife through their trust in me when I lost it. I hurt this pack deeply.

She begged me the whole time to go swim but I don't think it's the best idea. Luciano's office overlooks the pack waters and the last thing I need is him taking notice.

"PLEASE, Echo. Come on. You don't even have to get in!" Mya nudged me for the thousandth time today.

"No"

"Please?" She put on her sweet pup eyes and fat lip.

"No."

"PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE"

"No"

This went on for much longer than my patience could handle.

"You're 16. Why can't you go swim in front of all the people who are literally trained to protect you by yourself for a while?" I looked to Mya holding a deadpan expression.

"I don't know them." She whispered looking around cautiously.

"Yes, but I do. Would I send you alone with someone I wasn't 100% sure about?" Crossing my arms I looked over to the pack house and the beautiful lake that stole the definition of beauty right out of the earth.

"No. But you also wouldn't leave me alone to do something I'm uncomfortable with around people I have never met in my life either." She crossed her arms, mocking my stance.

"Ugh! Fine. I will sit on the rocks and read my books while you swim the lake." Excitement rilled her hazel eyes. "CAREFULLY, might I add. I'm not jumping in for you. I have no interest in this nonsense." I pointed at her face.

"Swimming is your favorite pass time. Why don't you want to go with me? You don't have to shift just to swim."

She really is a very calm 16 year old. I expected her to be reckless like Inez while she was growing up, but when she hit puberty she calmed down a lot.

Which is a complete relief to me. Raising them completely alone after mom died was hard enough.

"Because I, well If I don't shift then everyone is gonna look at me funny for swimming differently, And I just don't feel like standing out. I'm sore and....on my period. God! I'm on my period! Hate swimming like that." I shrugged my shoulders praying to the god of wolves that was good enough to get her off my back.

"I think you're full of shit. It's not even a full moon, but whatever. As long as I get to swim. Ever since I gained the ability to shift my wolf is always dying to play in the water." She giggled throwing clothes out of her bags to get her swimsuit.

I brushed her off to get dressed as I slid on a swim top and a pair of shorts, walking out to the porch to sip some late afternoon coffee.

"You and your coffee addiction." I turned my head to see an old friend walking to me. "That stuff is bad for you."

"I'd rather die because of a good cup of coffee then live without it." Laughing she took a seat next to me. "It's great to see you Nieve."

"We need to talk, Echo." She quickly shut me down. That's Nieve. Always to the point of a conversation.

"I don't want to talk. I'm fine." I scrunch up my nose. Fully aware of what she's trying to do.

Bring up the past.