Wared did as he was told. After a few moments, his eyes adapted to the low light. Even though it was dark, he could tell that the walls of the cave were not what he'd expect. A typical cave had irregular walls but he could tell that the walls here were smooth. He knew it could be something simple as erosion caused by water but he suspected that had nothing to do with it. His suspicion was confirmed when he saw a faint rectangular glow up ahead. As they approached, he realized it was about the size of his hand.

Shea reached for the rectangle and held her hand against it for a few moments. It flashed green twice and part of the rock wall slid open to reveal a dimly lit corridor inside. Wared hesitated as Shea stepped across the threshold. What was this place? A hidden building out in the middle of nowhere?

"Come on," Shea said and gestured for him to follow. Wared swallowed and stepped into the corridor. The door behind him shut immediately, closing with barely a sound. Up ahead the corridor curved to the right and as the walked, the lights above them grew brighter. By the time they reached the door and the end of the corridor, they were fully lit.

"Yeah, they're set to gradually become brighter. It helps your eyes adapt when it's dark outside."

On the other side of the door, another corridor branched of to the left and right. Without a word, Shea continued to the left and took several more turns before she stopped outside a door that had the word Office printed on a brass plaque. She put her hand on the handle, then hesitated momentarily before pushing the door open.

Behind a large desk on the far side of the room sat a young man about the same age as Shea. Papers were strewn across the desk and several notepads were stacked in one corner of the desk.

"You're back," the man said. He made no attempt to get out from behind his desk.

"I am. Randee, this is Wared," Shea said as she made an awkward gesture between the two men. "Wared, this is Randee. He's my cousin."

"Please to meet you," Wared said and nodded. Randee glared at him with a frown on his face.

"Who's he?"

"He's Tarun's brother."

Randee's eyebrows popped up and his eyes widened. "Tarun's brother? Are you out of your mind?"

Shea raised her hands and stepped closer to the desk. "I didn't have much of a choice. His life is in danger." She continued to explain what had happened with the departure and their subsequent skirmish with the Protectorate and their eventual escape.

"If it wasn't for Arty, we wouldn't be here."

Randee shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. He looked down and took a deep breath before he looked back up at Shea and Wared. His eyes danced back and forth between them and finally settled on Shea. "You shouldn't have used Arty," he finally said.

"Why not? He's always willing to help."

"He's been compromised."

"Since when?" There was an edge in Shea's voice now. "Why would you not tell me that?"

"I can't be sure but all the evidence points that way."

"I don't believe it."

Randee stood up so quickly that the chair flew backwards and ended up on the floor. "Well, let's take a look, shall we?" He marched right past Shea and Wared. "Come with me," he grunted as he disappeared out of the office. Shea and Wared looked at each other. Wared shrugged and motioned for the door.

"What's his deal?"

"Not sure," Shea said as she shook her head and followed . Randee was marching down the hall loudly talking to himself and gesturing. Wared had no way of telling what he was saying but he had no doubt they were words he rather not hear.