Chapter 6

"Why are you picking him up?" Kyra said as she looked out at the buildings they passed as they drove through the outskirts of the city.

"It's his Departure. I thought we talked about this already."

Kyra turned and smiled. "We did. I'm sorry, that didn't come out right. What I mean is, doesn't usually the immediate family take the Candidate to the ceremony?"

Wared nodded as he turned down a narrow side street. "Yes but in his case, all of his immediate family is dead."

Kyra looked at Wared, her eyebrows raised. "I don't remember you telling me that."

"I didn't. He doesn't like people to know about it."

Kyra furrowed her brow and put her hand on Wared's arm. "So why are you telling me now then?"

"He's leaving today so it's not like it's going to matter. Don't tell him I told you and we'll be fine."

Kyra shook her head and smiled. " I can keep a secret for a day."

"You better."

Wared stopped on the street in front of Tarun's building.

"I'll be right back. Wait here," he said and exited the car.

"Where else would I go?" Kyra yelled after him with a grin on her face.

As Wared took the elevator up the stairs, he felt butterflies in his stomach. It had been months since he last spoke with Tarun and it had ended on a sour note. He knew that Tarun didn't agree with his pursuit of Kyra and his insistence that Wared break it off had resulted in raised voices and words he had regretted later. He hoped that with the blessing of Henrin's father, Tarun's departure could at least be on better terms. Hopefully his insistence of bringing Kyra wouldn't backfire.

A few moments later, he stood outside Wared's door. He took a deep breath and pressed the doorbell button.

"Welcome Wared," Alice responded within a few seconds. The door clicked as it was unlocked and swung open.

"Thank you, Alice," Wared said and entered the apartment. It was only as the door shut behind him that he noticed how dark it was. The lights were dimmed and the heat was turned up.

"Tarun? I'm here."

No response. Wared continued into the living room. The windows were partially dimmed to block the rising sun. An empty tea cup sat on the table by the window.

"Tarun?" he called again and walked through the apartment to the kitchen and bedrooms. "Are you here?"

It only took a few minutes to establish that Tarun was not in his apartment.

"Alice, where is my uncle?"

"Tarun left about eight hours ago."

Wared raised his eyebrows. "He left? What do you mean?"

"He left in the car last night," Alice said.

"Where did he go?"

"He went to the Outlook Trail."

"The Outlook Trail? Last night? In that weather?"

"I advised him against it, of course, but he is—"

"Stubborn, yes I know. Why isn't he back?"

"I'm afraid the reason for his continued absence is unknown."

"Is the car still there, at the parking?"

"Affirmative. The car is at the designated parking location for the Outlook Trail. It has not moved since its arrival last night."