Hold her

Do you want to hold her?

Can I?

Her eyes grew wide when she heard the question. He gave her a smile.

Of course you can! Why not?

I don't know B. I don't even know how to hold a baby properly. What if I do something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong!

He took the small mountain of blankets out of the stroller and walked over to her. Today was a studio day. They had to record a few more songs for the soundtrack and later Tony would join them to work with her on the new album. They were both there a little earlier than agreed and now had over an hour left.
He handed her the little girl and laid her carefully on her body.

She is so adorable!

Stefani had tears in her eyes as the little baby lay on top of her. The little feet were on her belly and the little head on her chest. She felt the warmth coming from the little being.

She is.

Bradley sat down next to her, one arm around her shoulders and his other hand on Lea's small back.

She likes you!

It was like a whisper because he didn't want to wake the baby. Stefani let out a soundless laugh.

She's just a baby, I don't think she cares much who's holding her, B.

No, look. She's smiling and not squawking a bit. She started crying even with my mom and Irina. I think she just feels how wonderful you are.

Suddenly there was a silence between them. Neither of them really knew what to say. The little baby on her body gripped her finger tightly. Immediately Stefani's face lit up as she watched the little one.

She is such a gift, B! You have to be careful, maybe I take her with me.

A soft smile spread across his features as he lightly ran his finger over the back of her hand.

I wish you-

Don't say that, please!

She knew what words were in his head and on his tongue. She knew, but could not allow those words to leave his mouth. It was wrong and would not be fair to anyone.

But it's true.

Bradley, I have your two-week-old daughter in my arms right now, Irina's daughter.

It doesn't change what I want.

She swayed the baby a little, trying to avoid his gaze.

You can't tell me you don't wish for the exact same thing!

No, I can't and I don't want to, but it's not fair. You know exactly how I feel for you and that will never change.

She allowed herself to look into his blue eyes.

Don't make it even harder for us, please!

At that moment, the little baby moved a little and cooed contentedly. She had her eyes open and tried to look first at her daddy and then at Stefani.

Hey little pea.

The little one still had her hand wrapped around her finger and didn't seem to want to let it go. She started smacking a little and drooled a little all over her dress.
Bradley quickly tried to rub the stain on her top with a cloth, but it didn't work. Stefani gave him a loving look.