Chapter 31: Return

Start from the beginning

Also walking over, the Old Master admitted the set. "Indeed. I'm sure Rhino will be glad to have it back with us." Oogway spoke. "A terrible battle. Hopefully the last." a rare shudder ran through Oogway. Such tragedy, such death... It saddened him greatly. "As usual, your payment." he held out a single... well, for lack of a better word, voucher.

Hunter nodded thankfully to him and put it away. "I'll restock my supplies before heading out, thank you."

At those words, Oogways slightly cheerful expression fell away to sadness again. "Are you certain I cannot convince you to stay this time?" he asked gently. "It would be good for the both of you."

Freezing in place at the old Master's words, Hunter's own expression became more melancholic. "You know I can't do that." he said, looking down now. "Besides, I have contracts to complete, work to be done." Hunter said, although both knew that wasn't really the reason. He felt a deep pang in his chest then, and he was trying to fight back tears. At this point in his life, the wound was still fresh, not yet healed and scarred. "How- How is she?"

Blinking once, Oogway turned and walked towards the Moonpool. "Her training is proceeding well. She shows incredible potential, although Shifu can be... rather hard on her." he admitted to Hunter. "She would benefit from a friend. And she is not the only one. You could always ask her these questions yourself."

Grimacing, Hunter spoke bitterly. "She doesn't want friends. She walked away from the only one she had. And he- he died . There's nothing of him left now, just..." he said. He remembered that night, after the Thread. He felt something break within him. And then the beatings, the fighting for food, sleeping outside... The man she knew was gone. He'd starved to death on the streets of China. What was left was a ghost, a shell. "...Just a Nowhere Man ."

Approaching Hunter, Oogway placed his hand on his shoulder. "I do not believe that. You are much more than you believe, my friend. You have the strength within you to tell her, to face your past and your fears. I only wish you could see it, as I do." Almost seeming to be pleading with Hunter, Oogway craned his head to look him in the eyes.

"Maybe one day I will."

At that, Hunter turned from the old Master and walked out of the Hall of Heroes, turning and leaping on one of the sloped roofs of the Palace. Instead of leaving, however, he crept over to the Training Hall instead, finding a window and perching so he could carefully look inside.

And there she was. Hunter audibly sighed dreamily at the sight of her. As beautiful as the last time he saw her, if not more so. He longed to go inside, to go and talk to her, to tell her... But as Oogway said, he lacked the strength to do it. All he could do was watch from afar. He felt it selfish, as he always did. This was all he allowed himself, to simply just watch her for a time, to know she was okay and she was thriving. And she was. He was so proud of Tigress. He held no resentment toward her, not truly. Only toward himself.

For what? For letting her go? For letting her have happiness?

No. For feeling as he did. For feeling like a piece of him was missing. And like she was that piece. Having had his fill of self loathing, Hunter pulled himself back to the roof, and went to leave the Palace...

"Leaving so soon, are we?"

What the?! How had Oogway...??? However, Hunter knew better than to question how he had gotten up to the roof. It was Oogway after all. "Yeah, I'm leaving the Palace, I..." Oogway's look said it all. He knew . "Alright, fine. Yes, I'm leaving China. For a while. For some time. I... Don't know when or even if I'll be back..." Truthfully, he was hoping not to return. "I wanted to say goodbye, but..." he didn't have a good answer. He wanted to tell Oogway, but didn't... He was worried he may try and convince him to stay or something...