Chapter 11: Downtime

After everything that had transpired inside the Jade Palace, Hunter left the Hall of Warriors, walking outside and he began travelling through the Palace grounds, through the courtyard and finally up to The Sacred Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom, day had by now turned to night and the stars dotted the sky above China. On Peach Tree Hill is where Hunter set up his camp, away from the general Palace grounds but close enough to be seen and for him to see them. There was also a bit of safety in it. High ground. No one could sneak up on his camp this way at least. It was something Hunter was accustomed to looking for in a campsite, although he didn't always have the luxury of such advantageous positioning. He laid out his furs and even set up a campfire away from the Tree to avoid risking damaging it. He knew how much the Tree meant to Oogway and the Valley itself.

Hunter looked up at the stars then from the Hill. "Could really use your advice right about now, old man." he spoke with a slight chuckle, a hint of true sadness in his usually barren tone. While he may have dismissed swearing on his Ancestors to the Crane Clan members, that was because he wasn't sure he had Ancestors to swear on and felt it a disservice to swear on something that meant nothing to him. He definitely believed in the spirits and ancestors of others who had them though. "Look at me. A sentimental, sad fucker." Hunter laughed humourlessly at that realisation, shaking his head. "And yes, I see the irony. Looking for shelter beneath the Peach Tree, as usually those who are... 'lost', as you would put it, tend to do."

Contemplating his thoughts about the old Master's death as he looked down into the roaring firepit, Hunter wondered if the Old Turtle could indeed hear him speaking to him from the other world. Or if he was even listening. In a way, Oogway was the closest thing to a father Hunter had ever had, even if their relationship was rather casual and often business oriented he still valued the Old Turtle's advice and guidance, and thought of him as a friend. Even if he couldn't always follow his advice per se... Hunter thought about what Po had said, about being cursed to walk alone... He was The Man With No Name, which in of itself denoted a certain amount of loneliness and anonymity. Hell, no one knew his true name apart from him. Well... Maybe not exactly...

His mind drifted to taking his mask off in the Hall of Warriors. He couldn't believe it... He didn't want to... and on top of it he'd been called a freak?! He felt violent rage beginning to well up inside of him, threatening to burst free, but he forced it deep down back inside until he could unleash it somewhere safer, on something preferably inanimate...

"Hey."

Hunter whipped his head around at suddenly being addressed, embarrassed at being taken by surprise, and by an overweight Panda no less. "What do you want, Panda?" he asked Po in his usual blank tone as he turned his head back around to look into his fire once more, the flickering flames almost like his buried rage reflected in his eyes as he sat with his back turned to Po. He supposed it was his fault being snuck up on, having sat facing the direction he had.

Po seemed a fair bit nervous in approaching him. "I was wondering if you wanted to eat with us...?" he asked with a hopeful smile on his face.

Hunter spared him but a glance before answering. "No. I've got my own food." he replied to Po simply.

For his part, Po seemed to want to say something more but couldn't find the words, opening and closing his mouth like a fish for a few seconds. Instead, he then turned away and walked back down the Hill looking disappointed about the swift and firm rejection.

...

Tigress watched Hunter sit on the Hill and speak briefly to Po, eyeing him with utmost suspicion and animosity both for his previous actions and the fact Po was speaking to him all alone. However, she was shocked when after Po had left, Hunter turned his head and looked directly at where she was watching. She quickly turned and jumped down to meet Po and the others on the path down to the Valley.