Chapter 31: Return

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for the delay! I haven't abandoned the story or anything, I'm still working, just finding time to write has been difficult lately. Here is the next chapter, better late than never!

-

A day later, the Five, Po and Hunter travelled back to the Jade Palace after helping Grand Master Viper and his wife, having dealt with the threat now, once and for all hopefully. They stayed that night and through some of the following day to be sure that it was indeed safe, and to give everyone a chance to recover and recuperate before journeying back to the Jade Palace. Everything was safe from what they could see, and Crane and Viper were feeling much better after being treated by the local doctor, although Crane would need time until he was back to being able to fly like normal. The group all took the long way back to the Jade Palace this time as they were unwilling to unnecessarily risk anyone's lives to travel back when there was no urgent need to do so.

When they returned, the Five left to give a full report to Shifu on the events of the previous two days while Hunter went back to his campsite, treating his own wound from the previous fight. Luckily, it was still rather clean, and no permanent damage could be seen. He once more replaced the bandage, barely a grimace on his face as he did so. He had a theory that the fiery nature of the Demon somewhat cauterised the wound, although not completely, it was enough to stave off infection. Now that he had time to think, his mind wandered. First, their experience in the caves... Whatever that was, that Demon, it was powerful. Not the one that he fought, no... The one in the cave. The one he fought seemed to have used Grand Master Viper's own Chi energy to enter the world. Something else was in that cave with them, and it was very powerful... Still, it was a problem for another day.

The other thought that he was having was the, admittedly more mundane, fact that he had shared his tent with Tigress... On the journey back, he had shared with Crane instead, Viper and Tigress had shared as well as Mantis, Monkey and Po. When Po had suggested this, he could swear he almost saw disappointment in her expression for a second or two... Or maybe that was wishful thinking on his side of things...

He wasn't going to pretend he hadn't enjoyed sharing his tent with a beautiful warrior like her. He could feel himself slipping again, becoming enraptured by her. Hunter may have not wanted to, but he had to admit it. His feelings had hit him full force again like a carriage and it was almost inescapable. As he wrapped the final bit of bandage around his wound, he had to think to himself. At this point, he was almost drawn to stay, despite his past with Tigress. Or maybe that was what was drawing him in...?

He then yelled out in frustration at the situation. He didn't know what to think anymore. Even if he walked away from the Jade Palace, he'd still be haunted by thoughts of her by this point, and he walked down the hill, needing to clear his head.

At this point, the only solution seemed to be to tell her the truth, but... No. No he couldn't do that. She walked from her past, from him. It may hurt, but that was what she wanted, and he refused to dredge up her past after she had tried her best to forget it completely. He wasn't selfish enough to do that to her.

Hunter at that point found himself in the Hall of Heroes, standing in front of Oogway's Staff... The old man always carried it around with him...

...

Dropping down from the pillar, a clearly younger Hunter landed on the floor of the Hall, coming in the same way he always did now...

"You're becoming more adept at that."

Hunter turned and saw Master Oogway standing there as usual, a rare smile on his face as he saw him, although it was hidden behind his mask. "Well, you know. Adapt or die and all that." he said, bowing to the Master and presenting his latest find contained within a large backpack on his back: Master Flying Rhino's Battle Armour. Oogway nodded in content and gestured to a rack specifically made for the armour. "Master Flying Rhino said he took the armour off but couldn't remember where. I tracked it to a... 'Collector' you might say. I liberated it with the utmost discretion of course." he said, sounding slightly amused as he arranged the armour.