Chapter 5

A satisfied hum vibrates in my throat as I look at the spotless stables.

The maid from earlier did well cleaning it.

My shoes create a clicking noise with each step when my wooden heel hits the concrete floor as I walk to the stall with my favourite horse inside.

"Midnight?" I knock the wooded gate to get her attention. Her black eyes open, glancing at me before standing up. Midnight is a black horse that was given to me when I was 13 years of age. She is more that just my horse.

She is my companion. In every battle I have fought in, she accompanied me and carried me to victory. One could say she's my lucky charm.

She neighs in excitement, leaning her head down towards me and I gently pet her.

The dim lights from the lanterns on the walls causing her coat to shimmer like a thousand stars.

"Missed me?" I open the wooden gate and let her out. She straightens herself before strutting out. I chuckle at the her hind swishes as she does so.

"I see that I am not the only one who enjoys riding, Your Highness."

For a moment I was startled by the sudden voice until I recognise who it belongs to.

Will he just start to appear out of thin air wherever I go?

"Lancelot." Turning to him, I give him an acknowledging nod. He smile softly at me. "She's beautiful." Not breaking eye contact with me he compliments Midnight. "She is, isn't she." I agree looking back at Midnight who attention is on a firefly that flickering above her head.

"I hope you wouldn't mind, if I were to accompany you today." He says, slowly moving closer to me. "Hmm. I usually ride alone. Perhaps you could accompany me...if you answer my question." I compromise. Standing before me, he says, "Of course, ask away." He gently pushes my hair over my shoulder, his fingers brushing against my skin briefly before pulling away. It sends a gently shiver throughout my body goosebumps forming on my brown skin.

"How is it that you know my father?"

He tenses briefly, his stilling entirely.

For a seconds, he remains silent before seeming to find an answer to my question. A question such as that does not require this much thinking unless you are choosing your words carefully, which I didn't think necessary.

"King Ragnor is a friend of my father. I have know him for years and recently decided to visit because I have been travelling the seas for the last three seasons. Luckily, as I am visiting, I meet the most beautiful woman who has ever crossed my path: you." He whispers his last words, looking into my eyes with a faint smile on his lips.

My heart speeds up in my chest at the compliment and how he is looking at me.

"Why I have I never met you? My father introduces me to all of his acquaintances, so why is it that I was not at all aware of you?" I step away from him, immediately missing the warmth that radiates off his body.  He stands up straight, putting his hands behind his back.

"I don't stay in one place for very long. Most of my time is spent in new kingdoms and discovering new cultures. I only just returned two nights ago. We have not met all of these years is because I haven't stayed long enough to meet you." He explains, his eyes wondering around the stables before connecting with mine again.

I hum thoughtfully.

"Will you be staying long, Lancelot." I swing my leg over Midnight, the saddle already on her. Tatia must have gotten her ready for me. "Well, aren't you curious, Your Highness?" Lancelot lifts his head to look up at me. "Not necessarily, but I saw an opportunity and I took it." I smile down at him. "I'm not certain on how long I will but I can be persuaded to extend my stay if you ask." He walks towards another horses that conveniently still had a saddle on it.