022

It was finally opening night, and everyone was freaking out. Last night, they had all watched North High's production of Beauty and the Beast. To say it was amazing would be an understatement. Howie was fantastic as the Beast and Lily — although Dylan would never admit it aloud — was incredible as Belle. It was also bad because both Ricky and Ashlyn had braces on their wrists after Ricky's fall the other night.

Currently, everyone was either running around on the stage or gathered in the bomb shelter to get ready for the show. Dylan was going over lines in her head, taking deep breaths when Nini approached her with a card.

"For you." Nini handed her the card. "Don't open it until later."

"I'm freaking out Nini."

"Why?" Nini furrowed her eyebrows. "You'll be great."

"Not about the show." Dylan stated.

"Okay, about what then?"

"Me and EJ went on our date the other day, and it was great. The only problem is... we haven't spoken about it since he dropped he home that night." Dylan explained.

"Dylan, seriously." Nini laughed, Dylan hitting her in response. "He likes a lot, okay? Just talk to him."

"Fine." Dylan turned around, coincidently bumping into EJ, who was smiling at her nervously. "Hey."

"Hi." The two just stared at each other for a few moments, before EJ broke the awkward silence. "So, I just bumped into your dad, and, he, uh, he invited me to dinner tomorrow."

"Oh my god." Dylan's eyes widened. "Do not feel pressured to come if you don't want to."

"No, I want to." EJ told her. Dylan smiled softly at the boy, who reciprocated the action.

"Your eyebrows and sideburns look stupid by the way." Dylan laughed slightly.

"There she is." EJ muttered, joining in the laughter.

"Okay, half hour call!" Natalie shouted, leaving Ashlyn's side after bedazzling her wrist and walking across the bomb shelter.

"Wildcats!" Miss Jenn called. "Villagers! My friends and allies." All of the moved to stand in a circle, Dylan standing in between EJ and Gina, "As you know, there is a judge out there in the audience tonight, who is very important to the future of this theatre program. He is going to score every performance, our music, our sets, Lord help us, even me. And in two weeks at the Menkies, we could win..." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Fifty thousand dollars."

All of them let out exclaims of joy, "So, tonight we are going to put the U in Utah!"

Nobody laughed or reacted, except for Seb, who clapped once to give Miss Jenn a reaction. Dylan smiled softly at Seb.

Miss Jenn turned to Ricky and Ashlyn, "And to Ricky and Ashlyn, some words of inspiration. My deep and shameful disappointment in your recent accident has mellowed to a sort of, uh, numbness, so there's that."

Ashlyn blinked. "Were those supposed to be the words of inspiration?"

"Yes they were." The room was stuck in a tense silence as Ricky and Ashlyn shared a look. "Okay, where is LeFou?"

Big Red then ran into the room, clutching a bottle of stomach medicine. "Sorry I'm late. Just some dry heaving."

"Dude." Ricky protested.

He looked at Ricky incredulously, "Dry."

Ashlyn then reached down and picked up a big basket of flowers, just like the ones he had gotten her on the opening night of High School Musical. "Um... Biggie, I got you a little something for your big debut. There's a card and everything."