Chapter 22 - Headache, Library and a New Friend

Start from the beginning

He closes his eyes for a second longer and breath out a sigh. " No, Cat. Nothing happened. "

I raise an eyebrow. Somehow, I know he's lying. What happened last night? Before I can ask, he stands up from the bed, the mattress shifting from the absence of his weight. " You- you just told me you met the witch. " His pale neck is now a pinkish color.

Damn the drunken mouth. " I'm sorry, " I mutter. It sounded pathetic and I hide my face into my palms. " I just really want to know what is the true meaning of the Winter Born. " That word rings through my mind and I part a space between my fingers to look at Ethan's back. " Are you angry? "

Ethan turns to me, though I can't see his face and slowly takes my hand that covers my face and sets it down onto the bed. I look down, not knowing what to do. Is he angry? He must be. He is never angry though. He is always so calm and patient..

He suddenly brings a hand to hover at my forehead and flicks his middle finger and thumb together so it snaps onto my forehead, earning a loud groan from me and making my head jerk back. " Ouch. " I say, rubbing at the now red mark on my forehead.

" If you wanted to meet her, you should've told me first, " he says, stiffening a smile at my frown.

" M' sorry. I'll tell you first next time, " I apologize, blushing slightly.

He cast a soft glance at me. " Nevermind. I shouldn't tell you what to do. I'm just worried, I suppose. The witch is a lunatic and I don't want you to get hurt. But you're a hunter, you can handle yourself. "

Huh. He worries for me. Cares for me. That's a feeling that has long gone from me since Father died. It feels so foreign now like a dream but feels so right and warm. I break into a small smile and tugs at the mattress a little harder but he does not see it.

He walks to the window with the moonbeam shining through and looks towards the sky. " It's still early. We can go to the library if you want to," he offers.

My heart takes a leap, the headache suddenly fading and I look to him expectantly and he turns around with a smug smile.

..................................................

The library is all that Ethan said and more. The shelves reach the ceilings and are packed with books of every size. I feel like I'm back into a little child when Father brought me to the bakery for the first time, full of cakes and steaming loaves of bread, all giddy and excited.

The library is different from the other parts of the enormous castle. It is mostly dark wood and smelled of old oak and books. The only hints of gold or silver in this place is at the worn couch at the corner.

I look up at the highest shelf and wonder how can they reach there. There must be a ladder here. Walking slowly to a shelf, I run a finger across the side of the books -all in perfect order and arranged perfectly - and I see that the finger is now layered with grey dust.

Ethan is probably the only one that comes here. He walks to my side as I brush off the filth with my other fingers. " There's so many here, " I smile.

He looks towards the shelf and picks a thick book, the covers a worn red leather. He brushes his fingers on the cursive writing of the title before handing it to me. I take it, lifting it's heavy weight in my hand. " Read this one first, " he says, picking another book for himself.

I look down to read the title and follow Ethan who is walking to the couch, the book under an arm. " Constellations. " I whisper, reading the title out loud.

The author's name is chipped out, leaving only the word ' Sir '. I sit down next to Ethan, my back facing his and bring my legs up onto the couch, resting it comfortably. Thankfully, the seat is big enough for both of us. We read in silence, the only sounds are often flip of the pages.