Sixty-You Wash, I Dry 18.4

Start from the beginning

*****

I'm reeling after service.  He met my family.  He joined in.  He came.  I just can't believe it.  And most importantly... he seemed to enjoy it.  We wave goodbye to Dana—my friend from the infirmary staff—as well as someone who he actually knows from Erudite. Dana returns in the train by herself this time while Eric drives me to a restaurant he promised to take me to in his truck. 
"You spent an awfully long time speaking with my father," I point out. 
"I did," he nods as he continues to drive us out. 
This is actually nice.  And he's a really good driver.  I feel safe with him. 
"What'd you talk about?" I inquire. 
"Leadership stuff, some personal things, church things..." he says trailing off and turning at the corner. 
I smile at that.  My dad really seemed to like him.  Dad was nervous at first about Eric but we arrived early.  They went to my grandfather's office and talked before the service.  By the end, they were smiling and laughing together.  As we left, my dad even shook his hand.  For my father to touch someone not a blood relation is a really big deal. 
Eric pulls up in front of a building with a covered entrance.  He parks but leaves the keys in the ignition. 
"Valet," he says answering my unspoken question. 
He climbs out and comes around to open my door for me.  I smile when he takes my hand to assist me down from his massive truck. 
"Thanks," I grin at him as my feet touch solid ground.
"Anytime," he smirks.  He tucks my arm around his and takes the offered ticket from the valet.  I hear him climbing in and driving off.  Another worker in a matching uniform opens the entrance door for us.  We step inside and I notice a familiar woman standing up at the podium with the hostess. 
"Shoot," Eric whispers.  "I wasn't expecting her to be here.  Be calm and act natural," he says soothingly. 
"Eric?" Jeanine questions surprised. 
We approach her and I try to remain calm and composed.
"Jeanine," he nods. "What brings you here?"
"A lunch meeting but apparently Mr Cromly is running late," she says irritably. She notices me on Eric's arm and actually smiles. "Beatrice Prior, what brings you here with my Eric?"
"I'm taking her out," Eric answers for me.
"Why don't you two join me while I wait?" she says and walks over to the bar.
Eric gives my arm an encouraging squeeze before he leads me over there.
"Eric, you would know... what do they serve that would suit my tastes?" Jeanine asks. Eric has me sit one seat over and then him between us.
"You'd probably like their tea. They have an excellent brew," he tells her. "Either that or the sparkling white."
"Not before business," she waves the second away. "It makes my head too foggy."
"You want tea, sweetheart?" Eric asks me.
"Sure," I nod. He orders for all of us.
"So, when did all of this happen?" Jeanine questions motioning to me.
I'm honestly surprised I'm not fearful, but perhaps leaving church just now has left me feeling at ease.
"Just recently," Eric replies.
"Congratulations," Jeanine says seriously.
"Thank you," I reply.
Our tea is poured and Eric offers me sugar, then my choice of lemon or milk. I tell him I'll have what he's having. He grins and gives me the lemon. He kisses my cheek.
"I've got to admit, Eric, I'm pleased," Jeanine tells him.
"Thank you. So am I," he replies rubbing my back.
Jeanine asks a few questions about us and Eric explains for me. She inquires about what I do in Dauntless.
"She's assistant manager in her department. She's been given special tasks by leadership. We're incredibly impressed with her. She's even been offered a possible leadership position if she wishes to accept," he says proudly.
I flush at his kind words. He also doesn't give any real details as not to embarrass me in front of another leader.
"That's wonderful. Perhaps you'll consider," she replies sipping her tea.
I take mine as well and Eric is right—it's incredible.
Someone enters the door.
"Ah, finally here," she says climbing down from the barstool. "Handle the bill won't you, Eric dear?"
"Of course," he nods.
He turns toward me and kisses me gently.
"That wasn't so bad," he whispers in my ear barely audibly.
I nod in agreement. That was less scary with him by my side as a barrier. We cuddle and sip our tea together at the bar before we get seated. We're thankfully placed at the opposite side of the establishment where we're not even in the same room as Jeanine.
Eric pushes my chair in for me and asks if I'd like him to order.
"I'm fine with that," I agree.
"Will you eat fish?" he questions.
"Sure. I've had it in the cafeteria a few times. It was delicious," I nod.
I listen as he orders a set menu for each of us. The waiter takes our menus and I realize they're Candor—wearing black and white. Eric draws my attention by reaching for my hand across the table. He kisses my hand and then intertwines our fingers. I smile at him. I honestly do feel safe with him and I've never been so happy. A sparkling clear beverage is poured for each of us in a flute. I've never had anything like it before. I take a sip and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's kind of a dry beverage but I like it. We're given a tray of various hors d'oeuvres.
"What are these?" I ask intrigued.
"These are figs wrapped in bacon and filled with goat cheese. These are crostini—crispy bread with some sort of soft cheese. These have pears, the others roasted tomatoes. They're both covered in a balsamic vinaigrette. I'm not sure about the rest," he tells me.
I smile in reply and watch as he takes one and eats with his hand. I do the same and I'm shocked at how delicious they are. We finish the tray and they remove it placing a salad in front of each of us. I recognize the avocado and the mixture of greens. There's a red salad dressing that's poured on. The staff offers Eric black pepper and freshly grated cheese. He accepts both and so do I.
"What's this?" I ask Eric motioning to something I'm unfamiliar with.
"Artichoke hearts," he tells me. "It's a vegetable."
I nod and try it. The salad is fantastic and I think the dressing has raspberries in it.
Next is a curried carrot soup. I smile as I try it. It's delicious and so creamy. I'm not used to such rich, strong flavors but I'm enjoying this. After our plates are taken, the main meal is placed in front of me. It's like a work of art. He ordered me salmon. It's sitting on a bed of thinly sliced radishes, then asparagus, the fish, a green sauce, micro greens, and a slice of lemon.
I look at him and he's watching me. "You really enjoy food, don't you?" he grins.
"This is a new experience for me," I say. "The food is like artwork and the flavors are unique. I'm just in awe."
"So am I," he whispers reaching for my hand. He kisses my wrist and I smile dreamily at him.
We eat our fish and it's the best I've ever had. The sauce is somewhat garlicky. The vegetables are fresh and perfectly cooked. Afterwards, we're served a dollop of something green.
"This is ice cream," he tells me. "A specialty of Candor. I'm fairly certain it's a mint variety."
I nod and try a small bite of the green concoction. It's cold, creamy, and it is in fact mint flavored.
"I'd get this again," I tell him grinning.
"Which one?" he questions.
"Well, I was referring to the dessert, but there's not a thing we ate that I wouldn't enjoy again," I divulge.
"Good. I'll take you next Saturday in Dauntless," he says.
I laugh lightly in disbelief.
"Do you want to go dancing on Friday night? We could go with friends," he offers.
"I'd like that," I grin.
We stay in Erudite walking around an area of town I've never been to before.  Eric shows me his childhood home as we pass.  It's a lovely house but clearly has been abandoned for years. I think of similar ones I've passed by in Dauntless and I'd love to have an old home like that to fix up and make it my own.  I think about that with Eric in my life in the future and it sounds heavenly.  We return to Dauntless and change into more casual attire before returning to his apartment and spending the rest of the day lounging around. 
Time passes and I still ponder on what I'd like to do—if I'll join leadership or not.  I take weekends and evenings off to be with him.  Eric and I spend time visiting with friends and loving each other's companionship.  We have so many similar interests that we're always doing something new together.  Even lounging around just talking or on occasions just sitting in silence is pleasurable in his company.  We're alone at his apartment one evening after Eric prepared dinner for me—a meal he let me help with.  He taught me about seasonings and how to make sauces.  We even baked a small, simple cake.  I never realized how versatile he is.  We're washing dishes currently.  He washes this time and I dry.  I love how we do household chores together—always side by side in everything. 
"I've thought it through," I announce. 
"And what's that, sweetheart?" he asks. 
"I think I'm going to accept the leadership position.  My father said if we work together, we can join with Candor and Amity about the surveillance hacking.  It's happening to us all and if we band together, we can have Erudite searched.  It would reveal what she's trying to hide," I say. 
He nods setting the last dish on the drying rack. 
"I'm pleased," he tells me.  I feel like he'd normally be smiling but something appears to be on his mind.  "I was thinking, too."
"Oh?" I question intrigued.  "And what's that?"
He dries his hands and pulls something out of his pocket.  "Let's get married," he says placing a ring on the palm of my hand. 
I look to him in shock as he's bending down before me.  "Marry me, Stiff?" he asks holding my other hand. 
I laugh in disbelief.  I never knew he was so serious.  I thought he was just messing around all those times...
"So, what do you think?" he asks playfully.  He kisses the back of my hand, trailing kisses up my arm.  I giggle at the sensation. 
"I've never wanted anything more," I admit. 
"Me either," he says staring deeply into my eyes.  He looks down at the ring and grasps it sliding it on my finger.  It's a simple black band with a black pearl imbedded into it.  It fits well and looks incredible on me. 
He rises and kisses me gently.  "Mine," he says possessively. 
"Yours," I whisper. 
He holds me in his embrace.  "What kind of wedding do you want?" he asks. 
"I thought it had to be big—faction-wide," I say confused. 
"The reception, yes," he nods.  "But we could get married first.  It could be any size with any amount of guests."
"How about a small one?" I suggest.  "In our church with just family and friends."
"Anything you want," he grins. 
I smile at that.  He always gives me whatever I want. 
"You spoil me," I insist. 
"No," he shakes his head.  "I give you exactly what you deserve."
I giggle at that.  He kisses me lovingly, backing me up against the counter and reaching for the hem of my shirt.  I put my hand to him again. 
"Right, your fear," he says nodding.
I shake my head in reply.  "No," I tell him.  "There is no fear.  You just have to wait until the wedding," I grin. 
He groans in frustration.  "Let's get married tonight," he insists. 
"But my grandfather is already in bed," I protest. 
"Tomorrow?" he questions. 
"Tomorrow," I smile nodding. 
"Shoot.  I forgot a pan," he notices. 
"You wash, I dry?" I question. 
"Always," he whispers before he kisses me.  "I love you, Stiff."
I laugh lightly.  "I love you, too, Nose," I tease grinning.