Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The Letter

The mood downstairs was all restlessness and anxiety.

Seriously, where are these people?

Zoya kicked her heels aside and sprinted up the stairs. There was an unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach.

She was about to knock when someone knocked her over.

"Tamatar" she exclaimed. The pleats of her saree were coming undone from the small crash.

"Sorry, umm, what are you doing here?"

"Well, since you all decided to set camp in your room, I had to come make sure no bears arrived and ate you alive."

"Do you mean bhaijaan Zoya?"

"Actually, I didn't but come to think of it, he is un-bear-able"

Najma laughed out loud. Her brother was going to give her the greatest gift she could ever ask for. She was still in shock that her bhaijaan of all people not only agreed but came forth without hounding instigations and pleadings from anyone.

I guess that's the power of love.

"Hello, earth to tamatar. Care to explain what's going on"

"We got uninvited Zoey, that's what's going on" Noshini whined exaggeratingly coming outside.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I read the invitation wrong, there's only five. My bad"

Zoya smiled easy "I am sure they wouldn't mind two guests. C'mon we're getting late"

"NO, we can't" her friend panicked "I mean they are..." She eyed Najma for help.

"poor?" Najma completed.

"They have a reception in one of the biggest hotels in the city. What do you mean they are..."

"Cheap" Dilshad chimed in chuckling nervously "She just meant kanjus beta"

"O...kay"

"Look, Asad is not feeling well, so why don't you stay back and take care of him and we'll all go" Zeenat came out next in line throwing her own storyline into the screenplay.

"Bhaijaan is sick?" Noshini glared at Najma when she wouldn't stop asking questions.

"What happened?" Zoya's voice was so sincere, Asad almost came out from hiding behind the door.

"Oh, migraine beta, big migraine" Anwar joined next.

Zoya looked at her family standing in a circle around her feeding her all types of information, contemplating.

He wouldn't be the worst company in the world. And if he's sick then...

Her phuphi's hopeful eyes decided for her.

"Well, I guess, I can stay back"

Everyone sighed with relief at once.

"Look beta we are getting late, can you make Asad some coffee and take it to him." They all rushed towards the door dragging Zoya with them.

"Of course, phuphi. You guys go enjoy" Her voice trailed off as she closed the main door sighing, thinking.

Jahapanah and me. Me and Jahapanah. And our last couple hours together. Maybe it was better this way. At best I get to memorize him properly before final goodbyes.

***

A packed car waited behind the house chaotic and musing. The crickets chirped around them, a light moon glimmered while the dark full clouds crept their way home.

"Are we seriously going to sit here and spy? Let's just go have dinner. I am really hungry and we would know anyw..."

"Oh, would you just give it up! I am not going anywhere without getting to see Zoya say yes."

Anwar worried his wife might bolt through the door and strangle his sister if she chose otherwise. Zeenat's eyes had never shined this much. Of course, he was ecstatic but last decision would be Zoya's. Always Zoya's.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me" Dilshad whispered nudging Najma.

"Why are you guys whispering? We can hear you" added Noshini.

"Khaala is right. How could you girls" Zeenat said in response.

"Have you seen your faces. There was no way you would have concealed it, especially you Aapi. There are literally chaand sitaare gleaming in your eyes. Zoya is not as dumb as she might act sometimes." she explained.

Zeenat chose to scoff and sneer looking in the direction of the set stage. The shamiyana looked splendid, white curtains afloat in the growing winds. Fairy lights twinkling all around, their table sat in the middle of the garden. A lone red rose next to the now extinguished candelabrum, two empty seats waited for its guests.

Zoya marched out with a cup of black coffee in her hand. Unable to locate the man anywhere she'd called him and he'd asked her to come here.

The beverage forgotten, she walked bare feet on the grass, absolutely stunned by what she saw. Time slowed down with her heartbeat when Asad turned around to find her staring at him.

Lights from the porch struck her figure and created something that resembled a halo. The angel draped in black paced towards him then, failing and trying to hold her hair in place from the vicious winds.

He took over.

Eyes flaring, she took him in. The red tie played with the brown of his eyes. The tint of gold holding riches buried beneath the ground left her knees weak.

"Phuphi asked for coffee" she attempted.

He smirked and gathered the cup from her hands "Shukriya"

"How, uh, do you feel?"

Staring into her browns, he said "Much better. Although, I don't see a cup in your hands"

"What are you doing, Mr. Khan?" She looked past him into the space with a scrunched quizzical look on her face.

"I...woh actually...it's kind of a tradition now to talk with coffee so I thought maybe a change of scenery"

Asad Ahmed Khan! You chicken!

Zoya looked back at him with a sinking heart.

Ya Allah, he was trying to give her the lost date. The pity date.

She gulped and asked, "What talk?"

"Your letter...Miss Faaroqui"

***