Chapter 1: Honey Day

Start from the beginning

"Fine as day," Jaroldine responded politely after a moment of thought. "And how's my favourite and only uncle doing?" she inquired, raising her eyebrows and laughing lightly.

"Even finer than day," He said, puffing out his chest sarcastically.

"How is Haymitch?" Jaroldine said, inquiring about Larry's youngest son. She had 2, 1 was 5 and an oh-so mischievous boy, the other was almost 2 years old and knew a few good sentences that he never stopped saying.

"Fantastic! Jade saw me trying to get him to sit up on London and she did not attempt to bite my head off for the first time yesterday!"

"Well that is quite extraordinary." Jaroldine giggled. "I do hope I can get my own horse one day. Not that I don't like using London, but it's different when the horse is yours."

"It most definitely is."

Jaroldine paused for a moment before kneeling down to Nancy. "Here, you can order today," she said, giving her 4 coins from the pouch.

"8 of your freshest and bestest breakfast bread buns please." She said, beaming to Mr Gardettos eldest son, Nick, who was behind the trolley this morning.

"Coming right up," He said, beaming back at the three familiar faces standing in front of him. The Gardettos were friends with the Anne's. Really, everyone in the village was close enough to know each other well.

Almost immedietly, the familiar smell of bread being baked filled the air around them. It was warm, slightly sweet, and extremely comforting.

"Did you go to the strawberry field sometimes this weekend?" Larry asked.

"Yes, I went just yesterday. Mother and I made about a dozen jars of strawberry jam and shes going to make strawberry shortcake today. The flowers on the stems came to great use as well!" Jaroldine replied, hovering her hand to Nancy's hair. Nancy furrowed her brows and Jaroldine paused for a moment, not knowing what she had said wrong.

"Oh yes, Nancy helped us make the strawberry jam too." she said with a moments realization. Nancy looked pleased at this adjustment and Jaroldine rolled her eyes playfully.

They spoke a bit more until their buns were ready.

Nick gently placed each bun in one brown paper bag before handing it to Nancy, who in exchange, gave him the coins.

"Thank you." They both said simultaneously. "Goodbye Uncle,"

"Goodbye, say hello to your parents, we'll see you in the field later. It's Honey day today!" He responded, looking excited and waving at them as they started walking away. She knew Larry always had a sweet tooth and loved honey day mostly due to the treats made with fresh honey that would litter the village, and you couldn't escape it for at least 2 weeks after honey day.

The girls walked back home, the uneven cobble stoned road made soft tapping noises as their flat shoes walked in sync together. They waved to James Halfin, who was Elizabeth, Jaroldines good friend's husband the milkman, as he strode past them on his white horse, and as the clip clopping of the horses' hooves got more and more distant, the pace of the sound of their steps quickened; their mother and father were awake, Jaroldine saw them through the window sitting at the table with 2 cups of what she could guess was rose tea, their usual morning drink.

They walked inside and Jaroldine did not bother to close the door behind her; the weather was nice today. James had already dropped off their 3 bottles of milk, she could tell, because her parents' steamy tea was milky and they had used up all of yesterdays milk.

Andrea and Maurice welcomed their two daughters with hugs and kisses, ushering them to the round table where, along with their tea, homemade butter and a jar of their homemade strawberry jam sat in the middle, along with 4 butter knifes and clay plates that were spread evenly along the edge of the table.