Chapter Seventeen

The gods waited outside the glowing pyramid for its shifting bricks to either stop or continue their sporadic movement. The last meaning Bek failed and is likely dead. Just moments ago he had leaped through an opening only to be blocked from sight.

Flaming lava flowed through the cracks and crevices of the pyramid. Its continuous movement would stop if Bek succeeded, allowing the gods to enter.

Horus watched as Sekhmet stared at the pyramid, growing more impatient as Bek's absence grew. He had messed up again. A repeating factor in his life.

It seemed the more he chased after his revenge, focusing on only it, the more everything... everyone that mattered was pushed away. Would he have to make a choice between the two? Did he already lose his chance?

She always proved she loved him through her actions and by simply stating the fact. How often had he told her? What did he do to make her question his feelings?

He could almost laugh at himself. Blaming her for your father's death and pushing her away isn't the best way to illustrate your love. And now, even as he pursues justice with her by his side, he still manages to push her away. Too far it seemed.

Is this what Ra had in store for him? To defeat Set but be lonely and miserable. Now that he has lost Sekhmet, what good was being king? What good was anything without her?

The pyramid stopped shifting. It stood still as if it was any ordinary piece of architecture. Quietly, they all shuffled into the single entrance to where Bek stood at a tall staircase.

"Bek, please tell me you didn't just guess which was the correct doorway." Sekhmet turned Bek in a circle, inspecting him for any injuries.

He sheepishly pushed away her hands. "I-I could tell you that," he stuttered with an embarrassed cough.

"I find your dependence on chance troubling. If you continue to survive, I may need to study you further," Thoth stated as his prodding hands replaced the goddess'. "Now, which way to the Sphinx?"

A great sphinx crawled out of the sand-covered earth, blocking the path to Set's fire. Its body was made of sand that continued to fall to the ground as it stood tall. There was no way to pass the Sphinx except by answering its riddle correctly. Thank Ra they had Thoth.

It's voice thundered through the sand hall lined with pillars. "Trespassers in the House of the King, answer my riddle or cease to be." Sand filled the air with each spoken word.

"Go on. I'm waiting." Sekhmet cringed at the anger molded in the Sphinx's face, growling at Thoth's apparent boredom.

"I never was. Am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all who live and breathe. What am I?" The Sphinx stared at Thoth with empty eyes.

"Order. You are order."

The Sphinx bowed slightly, causing Horus to grin with pride. "I never doubted you," he said, smacking Thoth's shoulder. Suddenly, the god was smacked into a sandstone wall, aghast.

"Incorrect," the Sphinx breathed.

Horus groaned as he stood from the ground. "Try again. Please," he pleaded.

Thoth stared at the creature with contempt. "That was a completely suitable answer. You are purity." Freight conquered Thoth as the Sphinx drew back another solid paw, slamming Horus into a pillar.

"Wrong again." The god of wisdom began muttering the riddle causing the Sphinx to grow irritated. While Thoth continued thinking, Sekhmet and Horus ran to push against the Sphinx's swiping arms.

"Mortals live and breathe! Maybe stop thinking like a god!" Bek shouted.

The two gods holding back the Sphinx were weakening under its strength. Their feet were hidden beneath the sandy surface from such pressure. They shouted in desperation for Thoth to answer.

"Wait, wait, I have it! You are tomorrow."

The Sphinx froze before begrudgingly stepping away from the group. Its body crumbles to return to the sand depths of the temple. Set's fire lay only feet from them.

Horus held the container glowing with the waters of creation. Complete alation buzzing through his body at being so close to destroying Set.

Just as they stepped near the pit of fire, a cage of iron claws sprung from the floor. In instinct, Horus used his spear to stop the cage from crushing him and the two goddesses. Sekhmet gasped from the unexpected trap. Her gaze moved from Horus' trembling form as he held back the cage from closing in, to the others who fell outside the cage.

Bek and Thoth were safe and alive.

From the shadows, Set crept behind Thoth, thrusting his hand into the head of the unsuspecting god.

"No!" Sekhmet screeched as Thoth's brain was ripped from his body. The god immediately fell to the ground, dead. "No," she whispered.

Set stared at the caged gods, a brain glowing with shades of blue resting in his palm. "I should thank you. You lured him from his library so that I didn't have to." The king stepped over the body as if it were a mere inconvenience.

Sekhmet shook her head in disgust.

"You coward. Open this gate and fight me," Horus demanded. Unmatchable anger flared at the sight of the god who killed his parents.

Set simply clicked his tongue as he calmly walked around the cage. "Again? Hasn't she seen you lose enough? Can't you allow me to spare you one last moment of embarrassment before you die?" Horus' entire being clenched in rage but he spared no glance at the mentioned goddess.

Set stalked around the cage to see Bek stretched over the fire with the water of creation. "Stop!" A necklace swung as it dropped from his empty hand. "Remember this?" Set asked the mortal.

His face was masked with sympathy all but Bek could see through the facade. "Did he tell you he could bring your woman back from death? It's not possible. Not even for me."

Bek remained with his hand clutching the flask stretched over a chasm. "You expect me to believe you?"

Bek stood up. "I don't have to lie. How else would a blind, useless god get you to help him? Go on. Ask him."

"Pour it in," Horus stated, watching with prickling anticipation for Bek's actions.

The boy's breath wavered, his eyes flitting with sadness and betrayal. "Is it true?"

"Bek, pour it in!"

Set watched as the mortal was distracted by the realization of Horus' lies. He clamped a hand over the flask and kicked Bek to the ground.

"No!" Horus yelled in despair. Set looked at him with a mocking sad smile as he poured the water of creation to the ground and smashed the glass that held it. The sand drank every drop.

Set squatted near Bek's defeated figure. "Shame you weren't on my side. I admire someone that doesn't let death stand in his way. But this is what love gets you." The god rose and strutted once more around the cage, heading for the exit. "It's quite fitting that you'll all die together here in my house. Such a beautiful creature should never have to perish. Sadly you lost my favor long ago. Remember that your love for a failure led to your death."

Sekhmet did not let Set find pleasure in her reaction. Once he was gone, her shoulders dropped and her eyes squeezed shut.