Chapter 4 Once Apon A December

"Uhm. I'm sorry. What?"

"Did you not understand? I asked if you would dance with me." Kuroo looked at his sudden questionnaire.

The questionnaire was a tall, not as tall as Kuroo but still tall, man with green hair swooped to his left. He wore a basic outfit with black pants and a green shirt. The shirt looked fancy but he couldn't tell due to a brown cloak the mysterious man wore. The man also wore black gloves and a mask that covered not only his eyes, but half his face.

The mask was designed with gold, painted thorn vines. He was bowing towards the butler with a brown hat in hand. Clearly, the man had no interest in being identified and was quite good at it, Tetsurou had zero clue as to who he was.

But that also had to mean the man had no clue as to who he was. That confused him. But it was only one of the many things confusing Kuroo.

"I'm sorry. I would have an answer but I have some questions for you first." Kuroo set his cup down, keeping an eye on the man.

"Alright." The man said as he placed his hat back on his head. "Ask away."

Kuroo nodded.

"First of all, you do realize that I'm a guy like you, correct? Nothing against you. I'm fine with those who are attracted to the same gender. Second of all, why me? Third, you don't know me. Finally, I don't know you and I certainly would recognise someone with that greasy ass hair."

The man just laughed.

"That's quite a few things." He said. "Well, first off, to answer both your questions at the same time, I do realize that you are another guy but I don't care as I find you attractive. Second of all, isn't that the point of a masquerade ball? You don't know who anyone is? And lastly, my hair is great. Don't you dare insult it."

It was Kuroo's turn to laugh.

"No it's not but go ahead and keep telling yourself that. Maybe it'll come true. Other than that, I guess you're not entirely wrong." He had to admit, the man did make some decent points other than about his hair.

"Of course not. So, what do you say to that dance?" The man asked again.

A thin, sly smile slowly spread across his face. Kuroo hesitated. No one else was dancing, and out of everyone that had danced there had not been a single pair that had been two people of the same gender. The man kept his eyes locked on the black haired male, expectedly.

After a few moments, he responded, "Sure, why not? But be warned, I can't dance."

The man chuckled but didn't respond and extended his hand. Tetsurou took it and they walked to the dance floor. They reached the dance floor just as a new song was beginning. Fortunately, the man took the lead, showing Kuroo how to properly hold onto him. In a way, this would be his first dance lesson.

One where this poor man was certain to lose a toe, or two.

Mystery man held Kuroo's handn with one of his own, led Kuroo's other hand to his shoulder and finally put his own hand on the butler's waist. This was a stance Tetsurou had seen several times at balls. The men usually were the ones leading the dance as they held the woman's waist.

He always thought it was a very pretty stance but it never crossed his mind that one day he would be in it.

Kuroo could feel eyes on them and he wasn't used to so many people looking his way. He was usually the one people took a glance at when they spotted him always by Kenma's side or when he laughed. But no one ever really stared at him. Especially not this many people.

"Just follow my lead and try not to break my toes." The man whispered.

He just nodded and the man lead the way. Kuroo watched his feet as they stepped in time with the song.

Dancing bears, painted wings

Kuroo stepped on the man's foot despite trying hard not to. However, the man didn't flinch. He kept his eyes on Kuroo even though Kuroo's eyes weren't on him.

Things I almost remember.

Everyone was watching. They could see the lack of confidence the taller of the two men had in his dancing but no one spoke and just watched.

And a song someone sings

Kenma watched among the others. He was glad to see Kuroo spending time with someone other than himself, but he hadn't a clue as to who Kuroo was with. Although, something seemed familiar about the man.

Once apon a December

"Hey, look up at me and just trust me to lead you." The man softly spoke to Kuroo as they danced, but he didn't look up.

Someone holds me safe and warm

"I said look at me." He says more sternly, moving his hand from Kuroo's waist to force him to look up then putting his hand back.

Horses prance through a silver storm

The black hair man looks at the green haired man. He could still feel all the eyes but for some reason, he no longer cared.

Figures dancing gracefully

Soon others joined the dance floor, the couldn't let the two men have all the fun. Even Kenma found someone to dance with and joined in. But neither of them spared a glance.

Across my memory~

Finally, everyone had entered the dance floor. People galore were dancing in sync and the two were in the center with Kuroo just doing what his dance partner did.

Someone holds me safe and warm

Horses prance through a silver storm

Figures dancing gracefully

Across my memory

Far away, long ago

Glowing dim as an ember

Things my heart used to know

The dancing began slowing down as the song began coming to a close.

Things it yearns to remember

People stopped and bowed to their partners, but the two continued. Kuroo seemed lost. Something about the mysterious man was luring him in like a snake with it's prey.

And a song someone sings

The two finally started slowing down. It felt like a movie.

Once apon a

They came to a stop and stepped apart.

December ~

They bowed to each other though Kuroo's bow was wobbly compared to man's who had danced with perfection the entire time.

The song finally came to a close.

Suddenly the man looked frantic as he pulled Kuroo out of the ball room past several guards that had just marched in. Confused, Kuroo just followed as the man pulled him through the halls of the castle, ducking and avoiding any and all guards.

Eventually, they made their way onto a balcony.

"Sorry about that." The man smiled. "I may have snuck in and the guards aren't happy about it."

"Huh? You what?!" Kuroo stood shocked and stepped away.

"Shhh. They're gonna hear you."

"Wha-. Hey, can I see what you look like?"

"Nope. Now. Before I head off."

The man grabbed Kuroo's hand and kissed the back of it. So that's how he got there. It made sense.

"How about you go out with me?"

"We just met."

"Doesn't matter."

"One time. We keep our masks. If I like it then maybe another."

"Deal." The man nodded then jumped off the balcony using nearby trees to get down safely. Just as he did that, a guard entered the balcony and Kuroo left, the man on his mind. He couldn't wait to tell Kenma about this.