nine

THE FOLLOWING TUESDAY, JADE found herself back in the dungeons. Except this time Professor Slughorn was back, and so was Draco Malfoy.

     Jade reluctantly entered the Potions classroom. She sat in her usual seat next to Malfoy, neither of them looking at the other.

     It couldn't be that bad, right? Slughorn was there so the only thing Malfoy could possibly do is give her a backhanded compliment on her potion skills.

     "Miss Rosier! I hope you had a splendid weekend!" Professor Slughorn said to her, smiling so his face looked extra round.

     "Thank you, professor. It was alright other than Katie being cursed," Jade said, shooting Draco a glare.

     He met her stare and rolled his eyes.

     "Oh yes, quite tragic. Hopefully, Miss Bell is recuperating at Saint Mungo's. They have the best healers, most of them were my students." Professor Slughorn responded.

     Jade gave him a fake smile to acknowledge what he said and turned back around. Draco pushed his book towards her, tapping on the page of the potion she would do today with his ring-clad hand. She collected the ingredients in silence and began her work on the potion.

     Like always, she followed all of the instructions perfectly while Draco looked on. Jade felt herself disassociate from her environment, hyper-focusing on the potion. It was as if she was alone in the Potions classroom, and she greatly preferred that over her current situation.

     She wasn't sure how much time had passed when the scraping of Slughorn's chair interrupted the silence and pulled her out of her thoughts.

     "Miss Rosier, Mr Malfoy! I have a staff meeting at 6 o'clock so I must get going or else Professor McGonagall might not be very pleased with me," Slughorn gave a hearty laugh, "I expect you both to behave. I will have to give you both a month of detention if you decide to duel each other again. Have I made myself clear?"

     Jade wanted to roll her eyes, but Slughorn was staring at Draco and her intently. She very much wished she could curse Draco again.

     "Yes, sir," Draco answered.

     "Very clear, sir," Jade replied.

     Professor Slughorn seemed satisfied with their responses because he beamed at them and left. The second he was out the door, Jade could feel the temperature in the room start to increase.

     "How was your detention with McGonagall?" She dared to ask him.

     She wasn't sure when she had made up her mind that he was involved with Katie's incident. Even if he wasn't the mastermind or didn't curse her directly, Jade still had an inkling he knew more than he let on. Was that the task Snape referred to?

     Draco looked at her, "How did you know I was in detention? Have you and Potter started a fan club for me?"

     "Convenient you weren't in Hogsmead when Katie Bell was cursed," Jade said as she cut dandelion roots.

     He chuckled, "Oh, Rosier. Quite a large assumption you seem to be implying."

     Jade narrowed her eyes, "Is it really?"

     "I was clearly not in Hogsmeade, and it is unfortunate Bell was cursed as it now seems like you're down a chaser for the next Quidditch match," Draco mused.

     She felt her anger start to bubble up inside her, but she tried to keep it under control. "Doesn't matter, we could still beat Slytherin any day."