Chapter 21: Innsmaw

Start from the beginning

"I'd shut the fuck up if I were you, mate."

Cardin seemed to realize what he was about to say, flashing a grateful look at Vao. Verde sighed, brushing it off. "... Do you truly wish to know my Semblance?" When everyone around her nodded, Verde sighed. "... Very well. But you mustn't laugh, and Sasha must speak her native language. Okay?"

"Sure thing," Y/N agreed. He had to admit, he was a bit curious about his leader's ability. Verde stood up, deciding the best way to explain it would be to demonstrate. She focused on her Semblance, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath in, holding it, and then letting it out.

Her friends watched in confusion as Verde opened her mouth, speaking wordlessly. Vao arched an eyebrow.

"... You're Semblance is mouthing out words?"

Verde shook her head, stomping her foot into the ground. But as her boot connected with the bullhead's metallic floor, no sound reached their ears. Verde deactivated her Semblance, her voice finally being heard.

"It's called Silence. I can mute any sound I make. Running, talking, screaming, anything I do can be completely silent. The reason I do not use it very often is because if my opponent sees me, it is useless. And if I knock something over, the sound can still be heard because it is not a part of my body."

"Oh, like a mute button?"

"That is correct, Vao."

"Wish Weiss had one."

The heiress almost murdered Vao on the spot. Y/N was hiding a smirk with his hand; for once, Vao had said something genuinely funny to him. Verde looked at Sasha.

"Okay, now speak your native language."

Sasha seemed uncomfortable. "You sure? You wouldn't even be able to read my language."

"I am certain," Verde replied. "I revealed my Semblance, now it's time for you to reveal your native tongue."

Sasha groaned. "Alright, then.. here goes nothing..." Everyone leaned forward in anticipation, eager to hear Sasha's word. The giantess opened her mouth, and began to talk.

"أراهن أنك لا تستطيع فهم كلمة واحدة من هذا ، هاه؟"
(I bet you can't understand a word of this, huh?)

"... Where are you from?" Weiss asked. "I recognized the accent from Vacuo, but that's not the language used in the main city, if I recall correctly."

Sasha nodded. "Yeah, it's the language of southern Vacuo. I grew up in a small village in the middle of the desert, and that's what we used. I ended up learning Valean so people could understand me when I went to Beacon."

"Oh, what was it like?" Y/N asked.

Sasha suddenly didn't look like she wanted to continue the conversation. "... I'd rather not chat about home."

They continued to talk a bit before laying down on the bench, preparing to get at least a little sleep before they got to their destination. And as they soon drifted off, Y/N was awoken by a pair of hands shaking him gently. He lifted his head drowsily, meeting the blue eyes of Weiss, who stared at him softly. He opened his mouth to ask her what she needed, but she pressed a finger to her lips to keep him silent, gesturing to the corner, where the could speak without disturbing their friends. Y/N sat up, following Weiss across the room.

"What is it?" Y/N asked once they were out of earshot.

Weiss shifted to lean against the wall, sighing quietly. "... I heard what happened. With Rojo. I just... Wanted to make sure you were okay..."