Prologue

*1 year after the attack on Fortress Inqiusitorus*

After narrowly escaping death at Inquisitorius, Cere fully embraced the Force and decided to take Nightsister Merrin as her new apprentice. Merrin was already skilled in magik and proved to be a fast learner. Meanwhile, Cal made a full recovery from the stab wound in his torso and joined in on training Merrin while continuing his training.

*13 BBY*
Greez was seated in the cockpit with a fully upgraded BD-1, carefully listening to the Imperial transmissions being broadcasted through the coms. Meanwhile, Cal was in his room modifying his lightsaber, reinforcing the metal around the hilt to prevent it from being crushed during combat. Suddenly, he felt a pulsating sensation in his head and a sinking feeling in his chest. He knew something was happening but wasn't sure what it was. He felt a strong urge to find out more, but Cere called out his name outside the door before he could think further.

Cal got up from his cot and slowly approached the door, the feeling still lingering in his mind. He headed towards the lounge area and found Cere sitting on the sofa with her eyes closed. On the table in front of her was Trilla's old lightsaber. Cere still blamed herself for Trilla's fate, but with the Holocron destroyed, she felt relieved knowing that the force-sensitive children on that list won't face the same fate as her former padawan.

Interrupted from her meditation, Cal sat beside her. Cere opened her eyes and turned to him.

"I sense it too, Cal. The Force is reaching out to us, trying to tell us something," Cere replied, her expression remaining impassive as she leaned forward. Cal looked at her, his hands wringing with concern. "What does it mean?" he asked.

"I don't know yet," Cere admitted. "But remember your training. Use the Force as your guide, and the path will be revealed to you."

Cal nodded, his gaze falling to the metal flooring of the ship. "The other reason I called you out here was that I need your help," Cere continued, grabbing Trilla's lightsaber from the table. "Merrin is advancing faster than I anticipated, so I think it's time we started her lightsaber training."

Cere handed the lightsaber to Cal. "I want you to split it up and make both ends functional on their own. This way, we can train Merrin in different fighting techniques. Can you do that?"

Cal accepted the lightsaber with a smile. "Of course," he replied. As he examined it, he noticed no energy emitting from it. He opened the hilt and was shocked by what he saw.

"Hey, what happened to the kyber crystals?" he asked Cere. She turned to face him and revealed two blood-red crystals in her other hand.

"I have them," she replied. "I didn't want you to mess around with an Inquisitor's lightsaber while the crystals were still inside. Besides, Merrin and I have one more lesson to complete before she starts combat training."

With that, Cere knocked on Merrin's door and walked in. Cal breathed a sigh of relief and chuckled to himself. "Hey, BD!" he called out. "Want to help me with this?" Without waiting for a response, BD jumped off the control panel and ran over to Cal, beeping happily. Cal nodded to the bogling hiding in the vents above the door, and the two went to the back of the ship to work on their project.

A few hours later, Cal and BD-1 leaned on the workbench, admiring their handiwork. They had split the lightsaber into two individual weapons, removed the circle around the top of the hilt, and added two convertic knobs to both ends. All that was left was to insert the kyber crystals, so Cal picked up the two sabers and headed to Cere and Merrin's room.

As he approached the door, it slid open to reveal Cere and Merrin meditating on the floor with two pure white crystals between them. "

Took you long enough," Cere teased, still with her eyes closed. Cal ran his fingers through his hair in amusement and embarrassment, blushing slightly. Eventually, the two opened their eyes to admire their success.