Chapter30||Ice Cold

Começar do início

Tell me there's still a little time left back,

Tell me you feel the same way too"

It's amazing how life could be so beautiful yet so messed up at the same time. I couldn't bring myself to the idea of the evening with such a person before. But here, right now, behind closed doors I am now facing to face with myself. The untainted truth. The raw reality.

I still had feelings for him. More than I would like to admit.

My train of thoughts is instantly interrupted by the sudden, fervent knocking on the door.

It's too early for this. Anxiety slowly peaked its ugly face. And right now in the face of adversity, potential diversity at that. I don't even know if there could be someone there to hurt me.

I hit pause on the playlist and only sat upright, all the while the knocking not letting up even for a bit. It seemed the person was now more persistent. That awoken a certain annoyance within me. Which is better than cowering in fear like a chicken.

Pacing toward the door, I repeatedly take deep breaths and exhale as I near the door. When I am finally a foot away, I pause, my mind instantly wandering about what ifs.

No, if this is how I die then so be it.

I took one last deep breath before swinging the door open. I released the breath that I was holding in when I find that there was no one there. Not even the lingering presence of a person. I looked both left and right, furrowing my brows in confusion. I quickly decide it's best to just close the door and forget about it, but right as I am about to close the door my eyes fall onto something. It was a flower--a sunflower to be more specific. It had been delicately placed onto the patio and pointed right at me.

Another one of you, Huh.

With confusion washing over me, I instantly crouch down and gently picked it up. Shortly after closing the door, I examine its bright yellow petals, taking one between my fingers I savored the feeling of how soft it was.
Just the earthy aroma of the sunflower was enough to bring back the memory of my grandmother's smile. A smile that was so warm and loving that it made me forget about all my problems.

I wonder who keeps sending these?

Just then, my phone pings, and I instantly rush over to check it out. On the screen, I see missed call from Jacob. But that was about two days ago, I must've missed it. There was also a message from an unknown number. I instantly opened it, my eyes falling on the three messages.

Why do you insist on making matters worse?

I better find you at the mansion by the time I get home

No worries, I'll deal with you later, stay right where you are.

My eyes lingered on the last message for a while, reality set in. Ezekiel knows. Panic invades my mind and I start to dart from one scenario to the next.

What if he's only a few blocks up? What if he'll do something? Oh no. What have I done?

All of my thoughts rush out the window when I hear the jangling of keys on the other side of the door and the sunflower is suddenly loosened from my grip. After a couple of seconds, the door flies open, hitting the wall with force to reveal X and Sean helping a very busted-up-looking Jacob inside the house.