Chapter 11

Noah

I stretch a little and groan as I start to pull from the contented darkness of my sleep. It had to of been one of the best sleeps I've gotten in my entire life. I bet I didn't move once, which would likely explain my sore joints and aching neck. I yawn a little and flick my eyes open. The room seems familiar, but also not at the same time. I take second to inspect my sorroundings and once I realize where I am I shoot up in bed, the cabin coming into focus. I look over next to me to see Lauren still sleeping soundly. I move a little and the softness of the blanket caresses my bare skin.

I'm naked.

Again.

Great.

I can tell she's not, which makes me wonder what the actual fuck happened last night. I remember sitting in my apartment drinking a beer when all of a sudden this feeling of absolute terror filled me. After that, nothing.

I look back at Lauren, but she's facing away from me. I can tell by the gentle rise and fall of her chest that she's sleeping hard. Thank God. I need to get out of here before she sees me.

I stand carefully from her bed, making a mental note to figure out what brand it is later. I am gonna need one of those mattresses for my apartment. I go to the little closet in the hall where Gran left a bunch of blankets. I take one out and wrap it around myself, tip toeing through the small space and towards the door. I'm pretty sure I left some clothes at Gran's for when I do stuff around the house.

Otherwise I'll be wearing one of her nightgowns home.

Pulling the blanket tighter around me I open the door, holding my breath as it creaks slightly. I look back in the bedroom, but Lauren doesn't move. I walk out onto the porch and shut the door behind me, letting out a breath of relief. I expect my feet to start aching from the cold, but I barely feel it as I jog over to Gran's house.

I hope Betty didn't visit her this morning.

I creep up the stairs and look in through the window. I see Gran move around the kitchen and wait for her to turn towards the stove so her back is to me. I hurry into the house and bound for the stairs. I hear her shuffling and go to round the corner when I hear her voice behind me.

"Noah? What in the heavens are you doing?" She asks and I peek behind me, giving her a small smile.

"Just grabbing some clothes." I say. I hear her feet on the stairs and she grabs the blanket, yanking it hard. I'm able to grab hold of it before she sees my ass for the first time since I was potty trained.

"And why are you naked as the day you were born?" She asks sternly, her hand on her hip as her eyes bore into me. I clear my throat, trying to consider my answer.

"I don't know." I say, deciding honesty is the best policy.

"Hmpf." She huffs at me and rolls her eyes. "I may be old, but I know what it means when a grown man is running around naked first thing in the morning." She says and my mouth drops in shock.

"It's not that, Gran." I say defensively, furrowing my brow at her. She just rolls her eyes again.

"Go get dressed. I can't talk to you properly when all you've got covering your bare ass is the quilt my mother sewed by hand." She snaps and a bout of guilt shoots through me.

"I'll wash it." I say, but she just continues to walk away.

I hurry up to my old room, pulling some clothes from the dresser and putting them on. Luckily I keep an old pair of work boots in the closet downstairs, so I won't have to walk around barefoot until I can get home. I walk down the stairs, scrubbing my hand down my face as frustration sets in.