Chapter 3

Noah

I hardly ever go to Betty's for breakfast. Couldn't even tell you the last time I was in there. That doesn't stop her from remembering my order. But it's been the same since I was five, so I guess it's not that surprising. But something about the diner was calling to me this morning. I tried to pull the engine from that new Mustang I got in, but a nagging in my brain kept telling me to go. To move. That I needed to see something.

Then I saw her.

The second I walked in to the diner she caught my eye. Her long brown hair was shiny in the morning sun, almost like a halo on the top of her head. My heart kicked up a notch and when I slid into my seat and her eyes locked on mine I felt like all of the oxygen was forced from my lungs. It was hard to breathe.

That pissed me off.

I'm a taken man. Have been for as long as I could remember. Nevaeh and I may not be married or anything like that, but the girl has had my heart since we were kids. The thought of her makes my chest ache with longing and I reach up to rub the spot where my heart used to be. She took it with her when she left.

I look up at the girl, not even sure what her name is. Betty keeps calling her 'Bug' which is cute, I guess. And fitting. Her big green eyes are gorgeous. Add in a pouty little mouth and delicate features and she's a total knockout. I scold myself at the thought.

But then she took a bite of pancakes and moaned.

Fuck me.

I had to take a couple of deep breaths to keep my dick under control, but that only made her scent fill my nose. It was sweet, kind of sugary. Calming and exciting at the same time.

The fuck is happening to me?

I never have this kind of reaction to women. Except my woman. One look at Vaeh and I'm a puddle of mush.

I know I was kind of a jerk to the girl. I didn't really say anything, but I made it clear I didn't want anything to do with her. But that's for the best. Women tend to get the wrong idea about what you're looking for if you don't make it clear right from the start.

And I'm not looking for shit.

I watch as she storms out, the door slamming shut behind her. I get a little sad to see her go for some reason. She breezed in and out like a thunderstorm but left me reeling in a mess of emotions.

"Noah. That was unacceptable." I hear Betty's voice as she scolds me from the kitchen door.

"What did I do?" I ask hotly, but Betty just rolls her eyes.

"That girl is new in town, had a rough time of things. You could at least be nice to her." She snaps, disapproval written all over her face. I sigh and run my hand through my hair, wishing I had stayed at my shop.

At least cars don't give a shit about manners.

But then something Betty said makes my ears perk up.

"What do you mean? She's had a rough time?" I ask and Betty's eyes go from fiery anger to cloudy despondency.

"I don't know the details. But I got the sense she was running from something. Or someone." She says, walking to clear the place the girl vacated.

Hot anger runs through me at the idea of someone hurting her. Scaring her. My hands curve into fists without me realizing it, the sudden onset of rage surprising me. I'm usually laid back. Takes a lot to get me worked up. I hear Betty huff and that pulls me out of my little episode. She picks up the cash the girl left, frowning at it.

"She left more than her meal cost. Stubborn girl." Betty says, but I can see clear affection on her face and my chest warms a little at the sight.

Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with me?