9

Alex, in time, had grown to listen to her gut. It was a rare instinctual feeling, but it didn't mean that it wasn't always there.

For example, one of this feelings, were to ignore Paris. No matter how many times he begged her to talk to him. No matter how many times he strived for her attention, even if she wanted to rip him apart and fuck him till he hated her.

She had played this game before with others, and she would play it again.

Currently, another thing that she knew she should have done, was stay the night with Marcos. He was her peace, her safe place.

But Alex also knew she'd hate herself for leaving her Mother all alone in their house, without her being there.

So she returned home.

And regretted it the morning she woke up.

She had slept well, something that rarely ever happened, and in the good mood she was in, decided to wear a knit off shoulder large sweater with a skirt and thigh high white socks that had a ribbon on the top.

She even packed her hair in two, adding some make-up while she took her purse and walked down the stairs to the kitchen.

At first glance, the place was spotless, just the way she left it, and when she went through the fridge, there was barely anything left so she made a mental note to buy something later.

And that was when Adriana decided to walk in.

"Gonna go slut up in school, huh?"

Alex froze for a second bent over with her head in the fridge but stood erect eventually and closed the door before turning to her Mother.

The woman still had on the clothes Alex changed her into last night. Except now, it was stained with sweat and something else, while she had her hands wrapped around her thin body.

And God, she stunk. "Good morning —,"

Adriana walked up to her daughter and spat straight into her face, snarling as she spoke with her alcohol laced breath, "Just like your fucking Father. Dressing to get the attention of a white rich boy as well. Maybe you're as diseased as he is, and you'd want a girl."

Alex closed her eyes for a second then wiped the spittle off her face, making a mental note to use wipes later. "There's nothing to eat so I don't know if you'd just wait for me or I'd order —"

"With what money?" Adriana cut in with a deep grunt. "The one you get when you spread your legs?" Then in the split of a second, her eyes filled with rage as she snapped, "Or are you taking money from that bastard of yours?!"

"Mother —,"

A hand was suddenly wrapped around her neck, pushing her to the fridge as Adriana shrieked, "How dare you?! You're gonna leave me too?! Just like he did? Just like your siblings did?! I've always been the one there for you! I did all this to make you happy and you dare betray me like that?!"

Alex could feel the nails digging itself into her neck, her breath cutting off as she tried tapping at her Mother's hand. "Mo-Mother... I can't— Breathe... Mom —,"

At that word, Adriana's grip relaxed causing Alex to let out coughs while she stared at her daughter, dazed before she pulled away, staring at her hand. "I didn't— Alexandra—"

"It's alright," Her voice sounded raspy. She could feel the tears threatening to come out but she pushed them down, coughing a bit. "It wasn't bad. It's fine."

Adriana stared at her hand silently before she turned around, mumbling under her breath. "Bottle. I need my bottle."

Before Alex could stop her, her Mother was out the kitchen. She stared at the space her Mother had been standing in not too long ago, rubbing slightly at her neck before she walked to the sink and poured water on face.